Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 month ago

do people in big cities tend to be more rude than people living in small towns, and why?

2 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Anonymity. Same reason most people on Y!A are such d-bags. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

I have a theory about that. (Actually it was my old roommate who came up with it).  People get nervous when they live too close to others.  The higher the population density, the more openly hostile people are towards complete strangers.

If you live out in the country where your nearest neighbor is a mile away, you see that neighbor every week or two.  You sort of depend on each other!  But if you live in a huge apartment building in Manhattan, you might not even KNOW your next-door neighbor.  I mean you hear them arguing, brushing their teeth, having sex, but you never say 'Hi'.

In a little town where everyone knows everyone, you might expect people to be wary of new faces. "Who are you? What are you doing here?"  But no, they're glad to meet you and talk your ear off!  In a big city, they can't be bothered with you.  They see plenty of faces they don't recognize.

(The exception to this rule is San Antonio, TX.  I was there last Summer and everyone seemed really nice to me!  And that's a city of 1.5 million!)

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.