Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Social ScienceGender Studies · 1 month ago

Why do so few women choose to become scientists or engineers?

Very few women decide to become scientists such as physicists, chemists, seismologists, architects, etc.  More women choose to become doctors instead.  WHy is that?

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

40% is hardly "very few." I don't know what country your numbers come from.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

I don't know. But I'm a woman in engineering, and I've always had an interest in the field. From a young age, I was also very interesting in physics, especially astrophysics, and quantum mechanics. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that women are socialized into being more caring and nurturing to their peers than men at young ages, and are therefore more likely to pursue a career that involves giving care, than one that involves working with numbers all day. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

It’s easier for women to marry a scientist than to be one.    

• tara1 month agoReport

Most scientists don't even make that much money though, if that's what you're implying

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Worldwide, less than 30 percent of scientists are female. However, in the US, the numbers are higher. 50% of bachelors degrees in science are awarded to women. Just over 40% of doctoral degrees in STEM are awarded to women. So the numbers of women going into those fields are not much lower than the number of men choosing to pursue those careers.

It's also true that more women will choose medicine or careers in nursing or the arts than scientific careers, possibly because of their interests, how their brains work, or social expectations.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Stalin
    Lv 4
    1 month ago

Women are brainwashed by the patriarchal environment of the school and colleges where they are forced to confirm to gender stereotypes.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

They preferred to work with more women.

• 1 month ago

Maybe it's because women are nurturing, and being a doctor is about caring for others.

• 1 month ago

Some of the things that are going on there, to my knowledge:

1. Inherent differences in interest.  On average, men tend to be more "thing" oriented, while women tend to be more "people" oriented.  Like virtually all male vs female differences, this is a broad tendency, not an absolute, but it is there.  Something like physics is a very "thing" oriented field, while medicine is a much more "people" oriented field.

2. Inherent differences in mental strengths.  Not in overall intelligence (to the extent we can reasonably measure overall intelligence, men and women are roughly equal), but in what specific types of thinking different people are good at.

3. Prejudice in STEM fields.  Generally not actual, formal "you can't do this job, you're a *girl*" type prejudice, but prejudice all the same.  A "boy's club" atmosphere in a lot of STEM classes.  School advisors and the like suggesting that chemistry or physics or whatever is "too hard" for female students.  Et cetera.

4. Prejudice *outside* of STEM fields.  The expectation that women take on the vast majority of child care, elder care, housework, and so on, which can lead even women who have relevant degrees to not take STEM jobs (at least after they marry/have kids) because they don't have the time and mental energy to both have a demanding STEM job and be a "mommy".  HR managers who think that women are somehow inherently bad at such jobs.  Et cetera.

And probably other factors I'm not thinking of.

• 1 month ago

Women don't think the same way men do, careers like those require critical and abstract thinking.

Women are too emotion, too dramatic and too childish to be any of the professions you listed.

• tara1 month agoReport

women are too emotion

• 1 month ago

Most of the professions you listed have greater dependency on lateral thinking, which is generally the default preference for men. Lateral meaning greater connection from front to back of brain.

Women are more likely to choose professions with greater left to right brain hemisphere communication. Hence the professions of psychologist, child care worker, human resources employee, etc. tend to be well suited.

I know feminists disagree with the above assertion because obviously "everything a man can do a woman can do better" - or so they tell us.

I just wish they'd be realistic and accept our similarities along with the differences too.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.