Why can’t people openly express disagreement instead of treating me like a kid they don’t want to upset (see description)?

“Oh, I didn’t know X was true.”

“Oh, where did you hear that.”

“Oh, that’s interesting, I didn’t know that.”

“Oh, is that true?”

I know it’s coming from a skeptical perspective because when they say things like that, it’s in response to something I’ve overheard them disagree with.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

maybe they just dont like to upset you

• 1 month ago

Because we are taught to critically think. To not believe everything we are told unless from credible source. And possibly they do not see you as a credible source on all things. Children lack credibility because of their limited experience, but limited experience is not limited to children, many adults suffer from the same deficit.

• 1 month ago

Some people are not comfortable openly disagreeing with another's opinion, so they try to soften/play down their opposing mindset, rather than assertively sharing their perspective.

• Anonymous1 month agoReport

But then they’re basically casting doubt on your statement and you look super defensive if you reply to it like a when someone openly disagrees with you.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • susan
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

If more than one person handles you this way, then it's one of two things:

Either they are convinced you are crazy (#1 rule of dealing with a crazy person is, don't argue with the crazy person,) or they find you so disagreeable when disagreed with that it's just not worthwhile to engage with you.

• Anonymous1 month agoReport

Then disagree and refuse to engage further.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

maybe theyre afraid to disagree with you

• willy1 month agoReport

Wow- you’re the ultimate point gamer. smh- same question. Wow

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.