Is it okay to rinse engine of car with water?

Hi I wanted to know if it's okay to clean the engine of a car with a hose? I never did it before and I wouldn't like to do any damage to the engine😂. The car I own is a Opel Corsa 2014 excite 1.2L 4 cylinder petrol. 

Thanks, Michael

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

It probably won't do any good, but at normal temp without pressure, it isn't worse than the car being outside in a heavy rainstorm.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Don't do it. You could cause an electrical short. And, since the engine compartment is greasy, the water won't do anything useful.

• 1 month ago

You'll end up getting water in all the harness connectors and many times the car won't run anymore. Motors don't need a bath.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

Do not wash modern engines.  Too  many sensors and coils (and the ECU) that do not like water.  Wide down with moist rag cleaning the rag frequently in a bucket of water.  Your car is not going to a car show.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Erik
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I wouldn't risk it.  They sell degreaser at any auto parts store.  You spray that on the engine (being careful not to get it on any electronic components), carefully spray some water, and that's it.  It works pretty well, on places that have oil buildup.

• 1 month ago

Been hosing down my engines for years. Just avoid the super high pressure guns at the DIY car washes. You can use some dish soap or something like Simple Green or Purple Power to degrease it if it's really dirty or oily. I use my garden hose hooked up to the kitchen sink and hot water. Works great.

• 1 month ago

i would ask a mechanic about it

• keerok
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I've seen it done in some garages where they don't offer engine wash procedures. Without a pressure hose, just avoid the electrical contacts so take out the battery first.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i would ask a mechanic about it

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Just keep the spray away from electrical connectors and you should be okay. I drive very dusty roads and sometimes use a pressure washer in my engine compartments. I've NEVER had an issue.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.