How to get over anger over a spoiled movie?

A friend asked if I could recommend a movie for him. I mentioned one which I have watched halfway through (I told him I haven't finished it, but it seems very good so far). Later that day he said he has finished it and asked if I have finished it too. I said no, but I will in the next weekend (I'm very busy right now). And suddenly he just told me the ending (who dunnit).

I was so angry that I ended our convo right away (after telling him, "thanks for spoiling").

We're both adults and I feel no real friend should do things like this. I felt he just wanted to feel important or something stupid like that, but I'm very disappointed and it changed my opinion on him. I'm sure I will never tell him anything ever again. Am I overreacted?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Favorite Answer

I know you're upset as it's frustrating when someone gives a spoiler. I think you should let him off the hook just this one time but let him know that that it's not right that you ruined the ending of that movie for me. It really bothered me. If he continues to do it next time. Then that's one area where you can't share in friendship.

It sounds silly to disrespect you like he did because now the topic of movies is just one thing off the table that you two can't talk about. He's slowly widdling the friendship down when you have to modify your conversations. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Yes, you are overreacting.  Get a grip. Get some perspective. Grow up. I know a lot of people really, really, really don't want to know the ending of a story (book, movie, TV series), but in the whole scheme of things, that isn't a big deal.  

• Kartika1 month agoReport

I know it's trivial in the whole scheme of things. It's only my simple pleasure to get through the week. However, I wouldn't do that - spoiling other people's simple pleasures. It's rather mean.

• 1 month ago

Look at why you have reacted this way.  What specifically has caused you this anger?  Your disappointment/frustration is understandable, but what is the underlying issue that has caused you to change your mind about your friend and your decision not to share with him again in the future.  Is this perhaps a reaction to something else that has occurred in your life and you have been triggered?  Ultimately, you are responsible for your thoughts, emotions and behavior, and so you decide how much emotional attention you want to give this matter and whether potentially sacrificing a friendship is worthwhile in comparison to being told the end of a movie.  And given you are not happy with your friend's choice, have a conversation with him and assertively (not aggressively) ask for an explanation.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

i dont think she meant to be mean about it

• willy1 month agoReport

Non substantive answer 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • drip
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Did he tell you who Luke’s father is.  Did he tell you who Keyser Söze was? 

It was pretty rude to spoil the movie for you. But, Well yes you are over acting a bit to say you will never tell him anything ever again.  I would stay clear of talking about movies, TV shows or books with them again. 

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don’t think so. Cause he rude. Maybe you should tell him. Call cps also.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.