Asep
Lv 5
Asep asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 1 month ago

I put too much salt in the spaghetti pasta, any advice?

I was thinking of adding water but I like the sauce to be thick 

8 Answers

Relevance
  • denise
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Drop a chunk or 2 of soft bread in for a few minutes, some of the salt should come out when the bread is taken out, I believe years ago, A chunk of potato [peeled] had the same effect. It's worth a try?.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It depends on how salty it is. If it is just a little too salty you can make more of the same recipe without salt. To finds this out without wasting too much you can take a little bit and see how much it takes tor a t that little bit.then use the same proportions for a larger amount. You can always freeze the extra amount for later use.

• Mintee
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

id half the sauce.. and add more tomato paste, tomatoes, etc

• 1 month ago

If it were me I would toss it because oversalted food can't be saved unless you add more of the same without salt. And it's really hard to tell how much more you need to add.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

I was going to suggest adding sugar to counter the salty taste but the potato trick actually removes the salt. Speed was the first to suggest this.

• Todd
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

My solution for anything that has too much of a certain flavor is to give it more body. For spaghetti sauce, I would use mushrooms to earth it down. For chili/soups/stews, I would use beans, for other things some kind of starch.

• GFH
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Drop a half of an uncooked potato into your salty pasta sauce and say goodbye to over-seasoned sauce

• Hal A. Peño
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

How long do you keep the potato in the sauce?

• Speed
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I've never tried this, but I've read it in more than one place.

Peel a potato and cut it into large chunks. Let the sauce simmer with the potato chunks. Remove them before serving. They will have absorbed salt.

If you try it, will you let us know if it worked?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.