Can u pls explain me . What this transformer does .. to reduce 230 watt to 110 watt?

Attachment image

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    3 weeks ago

Your terminology is wrong. 

A transformer steps up or steps down VOLTAGE. 

Your diagram shows an AUTOTRANSFORMER.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

The transformer is connected as an auto-transformer and steps down the 230 volts to 120 volts to supply the 800 watt oven.  

To understand how the transformer does this may be answered by asking how a transformer works on Google to see a great deal of explanations. 

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

Are you sure of the voltage of the range. Most made for the US Market are 220/240 V two phase @ 50A per phase.

Read the Data Sheet for the Range. If you don't know then get an installer to do it for you.

• 1 month ago

You may kill your self on this  project Get some qualified help, preferably a certified electrician to help you. Find someone who knows when its watts and when its volts. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Can I connect my oven to 230 to 120 volt converter. directly...    800 watt oven Will it damage that converter...

• 2 months ago

This is a step down transformer !  It reduces 230V into 120V.

Wattage is not changed, as the 120v device consumes 800W, input 230V power also consumes 800W+loss at the same time.

• 2 months ago

EDIT in reply to question in comment.

Impossible to say if it is safe without a proper inspection/check.  But here are some pointers.

An output of 800W at 120V means the output current is about 800/120 =  7amps approx.  The transformer output should be rated as at least 7A, preferably more.

The input current will be about 800/230 = 3.5A approx.. The input should be rated as at least 3.5A, preferably more.

If the transformer has information printed on it, it may tell you the ratings (max. power and/or max currents).

Also note:

The transformer will get warm in use but shouldn’t get hot.

It should have adequate ventilation.

Metal parts should be properly earthed.

The oven should have the correct size internal fuse and external (plug) fuse (these provide some protection if the transformer short circuits).

Volts, not watts.

120, not 110.

It's a step-down transformer, changing 230V AC to 120V AC.

There are 2 coils with slightly different numbers of turns. The voltage across the top coil is 120V and this is connected to the oven.

(The voltage across the bottom coil is 230-120 = 110V but this is not used.)

The power coming out the transfprmer is 800W.

The power entering the transformer will be a littl bit bigger, e.g. 805W, because transformers are slightly inefficient.

If you need to learn how a transformer works, try some YouTube videos.  It is not practical to  provide a good explanation here.

• 2 months ago

If you can't tell watts from volts, don't go there.

• anand2 months agoReport

Thankyou for ur answer ..    it was a typing mistake. . if I tried to repair this of course I know what watt and volt is... 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.