Pedro
Lv 4
Pedro asked in Education & ReferenceHomework Help · 2 months ago

Is the first sentence wrong?

a. I’m a physician and I am healing children. 

b. I’m a physician and I am healing THE children. 

c. I’m a physician and I am healing MANY children. 

The noun must always have a determinant? Is the first sentence wrong?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

The first sentence is fine. It means you're healing children in general, not any specific children. B could refer to a specific group of children (though it could also refer to children in general).

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Doctors do not heal people. "As a physician I treat many children." // As a physician many of my patients are children. //

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

All are OK, (a) is healing children in general, (b) is healing specific children - it would be unusual to use 'the' if meaning children in general. (c) is OK but again no native speaker would say it like that: I'm a physician and I heal many children.

• A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

All three are correct, and mean slightly different things.

healing children - as a commodity. He is not healing adults now. The physician is not referring to particular children. 

healing the children - particular children known to the physician and the people who hear him speak. It is not just any children. It is THE children, and we know which ones. 

healing many children - "Many" is not an exact amount. It is more than we count. It is more than ten and could be hundreds. 

I see trees. << any trees, commodity trees, none in particular

I see the trees. << Specific trees we both know which they are. 

I see many trees. << a lot of trees, more than we count

I see these trees. << Over here near me

I see those trees.  << Over there farther away. They are different ones from these trees.

I see a tree. << one tree of general not specific, you may not know which tree.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.