Why is my floor wet? Plumbing or appliance or Pipe? I have no clue...?

In front of my washer my floor is wet but I can’t seem to find water coming from the washer. I noticed my vinyl floor tiles were coming up and lifted them up and found the wood floor wet underneath with black mold. Probably 3 or so tiles worth. There may be a little black mold behind the washer I saw it near the hookups but will have to move the washer to know more. Also, the other weird thing is the other side of the wall of my washer is the garage and I saw water on the floor there a couple months ago and wonder if it’s related. Any ideas on what the problem may be? I don’t even know who to call about this? Thanks in advance!!

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Your washer, or it's hoses, are leaking. Call a PLUMBER. Then call a skilled handyman service to clean out the mold and replace the floor and any other damage caused by water and mold.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 3 weeks ago

A leaking washer is a common problem. Washers will leak due to a problem with the water inlet valve that isn't connected properly or just faulty, unfortunately these cannot be repaired and need to be replaced. There are times when the door seal is ripped or cracked and that would be the reason for the leaking washer.

Drain Pump: The drain pump pumps out water from the drain hose. If the drain pump is cracked, has leaking seals or the bearings are worn out it can probably be repaired. In some cases a new unit may be the best and/or cheapest solution.

Tube Seal: This is a major problem. If the tube seal is leaking it may get water on other washer parts that should not get wet, such as the bearings. This is a complicated repair as most of the washer will have to be disassembled to access the tube seal.

Source(s): //www.electrafixbc.ca/appliances/washer.html
    • Also, you don't necessarity need a plumber.  You can use an appliance repair technician instead. 

• 2 months ago

likely, you washer is leaking either when it goes to empty the water, or when it takes on water [and it might either either the hot or the cold supply]. observe it closely to discover if this is true. Hint: if you dry the area completely [rags, old towels, and/or a hair dryer] you can put some paper towel down. then run the washer -- the paper towel will show you when the leak begins. you can also wrap paper towel around the inlet water hoses and see if it gets wet when you run the machine. handyman, depending on where the leak is, will be cheaper than the appliance repair technician.

Source(s): grampa
  • y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Move the washers, check the hook ups and the drain connection, with the washer pulled out so yo can watch, run it and see if there are leaks.

Washers can develop leaks, they also leak when overloaded, the supply and drains lines can also develop leaks. 

With all this water around the machine, more often then not it has something to do with the machine, it all starts from pulling it out a bit and observing. It is easier to pull out then you think.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

don't u have house insurance? u call them, they will send an expert to figure that out.

• 2 months ago

Read the first sentence. That should answer your question.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Hmm... It's heavy, but move the washing machine elsewhere and run it.. If there is a puddle under it THEN, you need to have it serviced.  If not, is there an apartment above?

• Steph2 months agoReport

It’s a house. Good idea, I will try that. Thanks!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.