What type of potentiometer would be used for volume control?

I would like to know if anyone here knows it because I am getting various different results on the internet. Thanks!

5 Answers

  • 2 months ago

     High quality made with carbon contact that last very long and prevent clicking  noise happen,  the cheap made type with copper contact generates clicking noise after a few hundred times turning because the contact cuts the resistance carbon surface.

    For tone control and balance, choose linear type.

    For volume control, either logarithmic or linear are fine, commonly uses logarithmic.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    The exact type depends on the circuit it is being used in...

    In general:

    For a normal analog circuit with the signal passing through the potentiometer - it would usually be a logarithmic or audio taper pot.

    The value depends on the circuit it is being used in; eg. as part of a transistor or IC amplifier, 10K or 47K is quite common.

    A volume control in a normal electric guitar needs to be much higher, often 500K so it does not overload the pickup and affect the frequency response.

    Likewise in a valve (tube) amp circuit, 500K or 1M is not unusual.

    Some circuits may use a linear pot with a lower value fixed resistor (around a tenth the pot value) between the wiper and signal common, which gives a reasonable approximation of a logarithmic output.

    That is a compromise, but uses parts that may be easier to obtain.

    If it's a DC control signal into an audio processing IC of some sort (so audio does not pass through the pot itself), that may need a linear pot and the IC will convert to logarithmic scale; for anything like that, you need to look at the data sheet for the specific IC.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Easy,  10K log pot.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Roger
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    The volume control potentiometer will be ganged, and log taper. A ganged pot has two separate pots on the  same shaft one for the right and the other for the left channel. Log taper pots change their resistance logarithmically as the shaft is turned. 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    A volume control usually has a logarithmic taper.  Since human hearing also has a logarithmic response, this creates a control that 'appears' linear to the human ear.  If a linear pot was used, most of the apparent range would be in the first 1/4 of it's rotation.

    • qrk
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

      also called "audio taper".

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.