Why are so many Americans so patriotic?

To an outsider, it can appear that Americans are stridently patriotic. is that so - and why does it seem like it?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I'm in my 60's and have always admired the way Americans live. Their patriotism stands out- especially the respect they show their flag - have always admired how they stand with hand on heart when singing their anthem. Having 'In God We Trust' as their official motto is also beautiful. I've always liked how kids referred to their elders as 'sir/ma'am' - as apart from the first name calling, kids do in my country!! And I also like the traditions and how they're celebrated (Thanksgiving, Independence Day comes to mind) 

• ...Show all comments
    • Lee2 months agoReport

I like that to wish we had that in England we only get patriotic during football

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

War and propaganda, which basically coexist. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

some are but it is mostly at times of needing to unify that and we had it "beat" into us that anything anti amarican is bad and being unpatriotic is anti amarican.

you saw the response to kapernick when he did  WHAT A SOLDIER TOLD HIM TO DO TO PROTEST{ yes a war vet told him that was the most respectful way to do that}

they all acted like he was a bad guy why because he was doing something seen as unpatriotic and questioning the country

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's hard to define someone's definition of patriotism. I believe patriotism is apart of a personal belief system even though there is a Webster's definition for it.

America is melting pot and people have so many different views and beliefs so patriotism to one person maybe unpatriotic to another. I am sure that different hate groups in America thought or think they are being patriotic in their beliefs and no one can tell them otherwise.I believe the American brand of patriotism has less to do with actual patriotism and more to do with symbolism. People that are born here from all backgrounds however wrong or right, are entitled to their own views on what patriotism means to them. As long as those views don't involve hurting or discriminating against other people.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because if you're not, some loud mouth idiot will tell you to get out.

• 2 months ago

Why not? Many people from other countries are pretty patriotic, why single out Americans?

• Craig
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Many of them are taught as young children that patriotism is a virtue.  To them, the suggestion that patriotism can be OTHER THAN a virtue seems strange and illogical.

When they are shown cases where patriotism has led to bad things, they invent distinctions to allow them to keep thinking of patriotism as an inherently good thing.  They do not recognise that patriotism among peoples whose interests are CONTRARY to those of the USA is actually patriotism of the SAME SORT that Americans feel.  They imagine it to be some dark, irrational frenzy instead.

(That sort of disconnect is common among peoples who are prone to patriotism.  They seem to think "I am a patriot, but YOU are a fanatic".  They never recognize that the two things are exactly identical.  In fact, they get offended by that suggestion.)

• 2 months ago

America has some great ideas to believe in and idea are very powerful such as freedom and liberty. Look at how the people of Hong Kong have been fighting a losing batter for those ideas often giving up their lives for ideas. Though individual American governments might not live up to the ideas as long as the Constitution of the United States and the Declaration of Independence of the United States exists there will be patriotic Americans who will demand that their government attempt to up to the promise of these great ideas.

• Stalin
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

Because that's a good thing. Patriotism is good for the nation.

• 2 months ago

Dr, Samuel Johnson said that patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel. There are a lot of scoundrels in the USA.

• tentofield
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

You beat me to it!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.