Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentMilitary · 1 month ago

Does Pearl Harbor have an airfield?

This man says that Pearl Harbor does not have an airfield, but he says that Hickam AFB that is joint with Pearl Harbor does. But isn’t Hickam AFB part of Pearl Harbor? A friend of mine has visited Pearl Harbor in real life before when he went to Hawaii with his girlfriend. They both told me that Pearl Harbor has a Naval Base and an air base there. He served in the US Navy and was a Combat Medic in the Military. He told me a lot about Pearl Harbor and that they have a Navy base and a military air base there. But this man said that there is no airfield at Pearl Harbor. But what about Ford Island? Ford Island is part of Pearl Harbor and it has a runway on it. I have seen lots of pictures of Pearl Harbor before and Ford Island is featured, showing a taxiway, a runway, a small control tower and aircraft hangars. My friend who was in the Military, he told me that Pearl Harbor also has a military airfield. Many other people have been saying that Pearl Harbor is both a Naval Base and a military air base. I never went to Hawaii in real life before, just to let you know. My friend, who was at Pearl Harbor with his girlfriend, would have disagreed with this anonymous guy. He is a US Navy veteran with a military background. 

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

The answer to your question is how reliable a source of information people you know are. Since you wish to hide your identity. The feelings of me be...

This should be answering what questions on why you doubt in the first place. Savvy?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

There is an airfield at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam (NS Pearl Harbor + Hickam AFB), but USAF uses it. On the Navy side (NS Pearl Harbor), there is no airfield. 

Currently, there are the Navy Housings, Aviation Museum (where the hangers, control tower, and an old airfield are at), and other museums (as well as a brig) on Ford Island. 

The Navy uses the airfield inside of the Marine Corps Air Station Kaneohe Bay (a part of Marine Corps Base Hawaii complex). Naval Aviation Commands are also located inside of that base. Kaneohe is about 14-15 miles away from Pearl Harbor.

Source(s): I live in Honolulu now.
  • NWIP
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

The person is correct. Pearl Harbor does NOT have a military airfield. Lived there 5 years, went to all the bases/posts, lived in housing and never saw a plane take off from Pearl since then. Ford Island hasn’t used the airfield and runway since July, 1999. Runway is grown over, hangers are used by museums or for training, more housing was put in, new training areas built, etc.... which you would see IF you looked at a current picture of Ford Island. While Pearl and Hickam joined to save money, the planes, the airfield, etc.. is controlled by the AF. Which is right next door to Pearl. The planes can actually take off from the same runways has Honolulu International Airport uses as THAT is also next door.   The only Navy air presence would be over at MCAS Kaneohe Bay. 

Your friend was full of it or you just were not listening when they were talking about it. 

• Mrsjvb
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

It’s joint only for paperwork and budget purposes.  Hickam is a separate entity.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Pearl Harbor is the NAVAL BASE. The airbase next door IS NOT part of Pearl Harbor.

• ?
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

No longer a naval base -- now a JOINT BASE. You are years in te past.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

NO. Pearl Harbor has no flightline, and the one on Ford Island is inactive. Now STFU.

• Bill-M
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

NO.   Pearl Harbor used to have it's own airfield on FORD Island, but that has closed.

Hickam AFB is right next door and the two bases,  Navy and Air Force have combined into one big Joint Base.

Attachment image
  • 1 month ago

pearl harbor is a joint base, Joint Base Pearl Harbor–Hickam

they joined naval station pearl harbor with Hickam AFB in 2010

the airfield on Ford island is a civilan airport called Kalaeloa Airport and there is also a Coast Guard Air Station Barbers Point.

• NWIP
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

No it is NOT. The airport no longer functions at all on Ford, was shut down in 1999. Kalaeloa is over at Barbers. 

• Daniel
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Prior to Joint Basing, Pearl Harbor and Hickam AFB were separate Navy and Air Force bases.  

Even with joint basing (the name of the installation is now Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam), the airfield is still referred to as Hickam (not Pearl Harbor) and the Air Force is still the senior airfield authority (ie an Airman, not a Sailor is in charge of the military portion of the airfield).  So, no, there is not military airfield on the Pearl Harbor portion of the joint base.

As Andre L said, Ford Island's runway hasn't been used in over 20 years and hasn't been an active military airfield for even longer.  

• 1 month ago

The US Navy is the main occupant of Pearl Harbor, and as the Navy has aircraft and squadrons of naval aircraft, it uses several of the military airfields there.

Ford Island has not had an airfield, either military or civilian, since 1999.

Other bases, such as Wheeler, are Army bases, as the US Army also have it's own aircraft, primarily helicopters.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.