Fridge humming?

My bridge's motor is red hot, the fridge is no longer cold, freezer has defrosted, very loud continuous humming

What's wrong with it?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

it needs a technician. refrigerant may have leaked out -- if so, the questions are 1. why? 2. how fast is it leaking? 3. what do you want to do about it?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Your circuit could be bad--and it's made your fridge work harder to do its job. Have the circuit checked for overload, and if it's okay, then you need a new fridge. 

• ...Show all comments
    • JJ
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

ANY cost for a burned compressor will quickly escalate, any money spent is wasted as it will be determined it isn't worthwhile. Apply the expense to it's replacement.

• JJ
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Doesn't matter go shopping for a replacement.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Pull the plug. Fridge is not working anyways so it is just a box.  Time to buy a new one.  The compressor has SEIZED UP.  

. So, lets not burn the house down.  An unplugged fridge can be there for centuries.  It won't get hot unless it is a hot day and the fridge door is open. It won't get cold unless it is a cold day in the house and the fridge door is open.  It is just storage now.

. The cost to replace the compressor and the motor as you have cooked that one is the cost of another fridge...so that is where you are at.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • y
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

I would be checking the condenser fan and cleaning out those condenser coils as my first step.

• funnel
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Yep. Thank you. Somebody with some sense.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Compressor likely has a locked rotor.  Turn it off and get a new fridge.

• ...Show all comments
    • funnel
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Not everybody can just up and but a new fridge. Even if they can wouldn't it be ok to fix instead?

• 1 month ago

The humming is the motor trying to work, and not succeeding, supported by the evidence of it getting hot. That is why the fridge and freezer aren't working either.

Turn it off right now and save what you can of the contents. Either get the motor replaced or, more likely, replace the fridge freezer. It's often more economical to just replace the whole appliance.

• 1 month ago

Better unplug it and dont use it till it is fixed or buried. Grampa B

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    1 month ago

Is the coil on the back or bottom of fridge clean?  If so youre refidgerent may have leaked out or the starter on the compressor is bad.   Depending on age of it might be time fir a new one.

• 1 month ago

Nothing. It's called "Evolution". What's happening is that your fridge is turning into an oven. Normally, of course, this process takes millions of years but your appliance is obviously a mutation that's cutting lots of Darwinian corners. I wish my fridge was like that!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.