Anna asked in PetsBirds · 2 months ago

How to get duckling to settle?

I have a baby mallard duckling that we rescued, we found him alone and a mother is not near by. We assume he is about a week old now. He has imprinted on us and is fine during the day. But when it comes to night, he will cry and peep when i try and go to sleep. His tub is at the end of the bed in my room with a red heat lamp.Please help! 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

He needs to feel secure and will settle in if he scan nest and snuggle.  Goslings, ducklings and chicks all burrow into their mothers underside for warmth and security.  If you have a very long haired fuzzy stuffed animal you could set in the tub with him, or like another post suggested, dangle a clean mop with strings Hanging Just off the floor (ground level) So he 

can get under it, a bunch of terry cloth strips bound together if you don’t have a mop.

Making nests using a towel rarely work, neither so hot water bottles, lamp lights are the best for heat.

Also we found leaving a talk show, news report of any quiet white noise radio music will help him not hear every noise in the neighborhood and hie should settle in.  Remember to Have food, Fresh water,  

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Bob
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Dangle the head of a mop into his tub with enough room for him to get underneath. A clean dry new mop obviously

• 2 months ago

Maybe he's hungry

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.