Is "cerebral" a compliment?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Yes.

Same as saying "brainy". I think the Latinate form itself, conveys meaning smart, in a smart way, to say this. That's just my feeling 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

It might be--it might also NOT be. It depends on the context of the comment. 

• 1 month ago

If used correctly and in the right context it can be used as a compliment. "He has a very cerebral way of thinking.". It means having higher intelligence than normal.

• 1 month ago

A single word means nothing without its CONTEXT. It might mean you have a fabulously powerful brain; it might mean you're boring and pedantic.You have to consider who said it, to whom, and in what circumstances.

CONTEXT IS EVERYTHING.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • blank
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Context contect context!

"Wow dude!  That's is pretty cerebral for this crowd, like ya know mean?"

"Wow!  THAT is pretty cerebral!!  Gonna have to remember that one."

• 1 month ago

The hugely popular TV series "Star Trek" was once removed from television because its critics claimed it was "too cerebral" but the groundswell of public outrage brought the show back. Larry K's response explains the two-sided meanings given to the word. In the example of the "Star Trek" criticism, there was an element of snobbery and disdain for the general public by the programmers who wrongly assumed the interests and intellectual capacity of viewers might not be able to grasp the elevated ideas contained in the show.  

• 2 months ago

It's been used to describe me, Mike, and it's been used as a compliment and as sarcastic criticism. Of course, the term is used to describe a person who tends to think or reason a lot as opposed to taking action. As a compliment, the person thought I was intelligent. As a criticism, it's been used to complain that all I do is talk and never take any action. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

depends on why youre saying it

• 2 months ago

It can be depending on how it’s used

• Yes, in general, it is a compliment. However, context in a  sentence could change the tone of the word. Ex: He uses cerebral distancing to avoid emotional connections.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.