Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Food & DrinkOther - Food & Drink · 2 months ago

Could you survive on $2.50 per day for food?

You can't save the money.

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Rice and beans.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Survive yes but it would be a starvation diet and very unhealthy.

• Ian1 month agoReport

yes you would suffer from malnutrition which leads to aggressive behavior and brain damage.

• SW-6
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Yes, nothing too fancy, but yes if I had to.  :)

• 1 month ago

Single small pack of rice or pasta, single bulb of Garlic, one onion and the cheapest can of tinned tomatoes and or beans. Wait till the supermarket is closing for the day and see what fresh protein is being discounted. What ever change you have from the $2.50 after buying the basics listed you use to buy the largest amount of the cheapest cut. A couple of slices of belly pork is best if you can get it. Dry fry the protein in a pan to render as much fat out as you can, fry off the onion and garlic in the fat, add in the tomato and beans, add back the protein and then serve over the rice or pasta. You should have enough to make two or three meals and it will be enough to survive.

When I was a student I used to go to the farmers market just before closing and pick up any bruised or discarded vegetables that could not be sold, and salvaged what I could. A broken carrot, or a bit of cauliflower added both a taste and texture change. I lived on that for the first three years of my degree.

• ...Show all comments
    • Bigsumo
      Lv 6
      1 month agoReport

That was not the question, but even if the diet had to be gluten free, just ignore the pasta and stick with rice.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes but it wouldn't be easy, and probably not the healthiest options. It would be a 

LOT easier if allowed 17.50 a week (2.50 x 7) and then can space things out a bit

and let me get a week's worth of rice, potatoes, pasta, spaghetti sauce, et cetera.

• 2 months ago

I probably could but I wouldn't want to because $17.50 worth of groceries per week would be mostly starches and beans.

• kswck2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Probably not. Even if you just eat 2 oranges per day at $1 each. It give you vitamins and fiber, but not enough to sustain your life for very long. 

• Anton
      Lv 6
      2 months agoReport

I eat one orange every five years. 

• Anton
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Trivial.

You need 5 ounces of meat plus some starches, vegetables, oil and dairy.

Meat is less that $2/lb, potatoes is $1.50 for 10 pounds, onions, carrots, squash all a buck a pound or less.  Main dinner is less than $1.20.  Bread is about $1.50, about 7 cents a slice.  I get my tea for a bit under 2 cents a bag.  Etc..  I can even splurge for milk and cheese.

• 2 months ago

Not if I wanted to live a long time.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes. There are so many dollar and under menus to eat from you'd have a full belly on just $2!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.