Does it mean I can progressively start to quit medication; please read?

My psychiatrist warned me against it, but I know psychiatrists like to earn money above all. I'm 28 been diagnosed with schizophrenia since age 17. Given Haloperidol for years to date, and since last December I've stopped hearing things others can't. I am overwhelmingly happy because I know now that if it ever returns I WILL know it's UNREAL. ^_^. Does it mean I'm fit to progressively quit Haloperidol? Thank you and excuse grammar, I'm not native. 

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

That probably just means the medication is working. It can be dangerous to stop taking medication because the hallucinations come back. Take the advice of your psychiatrist. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jim
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No, of course not! You should have a good conversation with your doctor.

• 2 months ago

Anti psychotics are powerful drugs, and most doctors advise drug holidays of several weeks duration, if it's safe. If you stay in contact with your psychiatrist, it may be safe for you.

• jannsody
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

A word to the wise that those on antipsychotics are *not* usually taken off them, especially without an equivalent substitute.

• 2 months ago

Please be aware that the medication is why the voices have purportedly stopped.  One should *not* stop his or her medication for schizophrenia.  The mental illness is thought to have a neurochemical basis, so taking medication on a continuous basis is supposed to be crucial to try to manage those symptoms.

People with schizophrenia who have relapsed and have symptoms may *not* realize it due to the mental health condition itself.  Please be proactive and continue taking any medications prescribed by your psychiatrist.  Talking about any such concerns with the psychiatrist is recommended too.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Amy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I really hope this is a sarcastic metaphor for "should we end quarantine" and not somebody genuinely thinking they should stop taking medication because the medication is working!

• 2 months ago

it's not a matter of the shrink earning money, it's a fact that you quit the meds and the voices will return

• audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You've stopped hearing things because the medicine is working! If you stop, the voices will just come back.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.