What European countries would you recommend for a fourteen or fifteen-year-old to spend a semester abroad in?

Obviously, I won't be able to do it this year due to a certain global pandemic, but I'm hoping to have a chance to study abroad next year at fifteen. It's always been somewhere on my imaginary things-to-do-before-adulthood list, and I adore Europe.

I speak fluent Hungarian and Spanish, due to my Hungarian-Guatemalan parentage and the fact that my parents dedicated a lot to that, and I've been learning French for 2 years now. Having spent most of my life in the US, I also speak fluent English. My parents are very supportive (although slightly strict) and they are on board with my goals. 

I haven't yet been to any European countries besides Hungary, so I am looking to broaden my horizons. (I love Hungary but I'm so used to it that I don't think a semester abroad there would do much for me.)

Because of my English and Spanish, I would prefer not to be in a country that speaks one of those languages. This definitely crosses Spain and the UK off my list.

I would love to practice my French, but -- and I know this sounds stupid -- I don't want to visit France. I was thinking perhaps southern Belgium, but I'm not sure.

French aside, I would love to challenge myself with a language barrier. So French is not necessary, because learning a few phrases in, say, Czech so that I can get around would be something I'm more than willing to undertake.

I prefer a small group of students in the same program than a host family.

Thanks for reading through all of this! Your help is welcome!

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Probably the best, though also the most expensive, country for a teen to spend a semester abroad is Switzerland.  There are many schools in French-speaking western Switzerland. This is one that is accredited:

https://www.las.ch/

Note the school has summer sessions and you should consider attending one to see if you like it before committing to a whole semester.

Finally, Spring semester is dominated by ski season.  Leysin is a ski resort and the best way to learn to ski is to live in a ski resort. 

Best wishes!

Source(s): Disclosure: I am an LAS alumnus.
    • grendel2 months agoReport

I will definitely consider the summer sessions at LAS. Switzerland would definitely make a lot of sense. Thank you for your answer: it was extremely helpful!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

What countries are available to you?

Generally this is something you have to do through an organisation your school is part of; so explore your options before trying to pick somewhere that might not be one.

Unfortunately, my school is very new and it doesn't have many of these programs. However, I did some research and there are a lot of possibilities that are not limited by which school I go to. Thank you for your concern: it's true that often these are organized by the school.

• 2 months ago

your still a child ..unless your parents can send you to a private school or similar it wont happen ..wait till your 18 ..

It's actually quite possible for minors to study abroad. There are multiple options available even in high school.

• ?
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I'd go with Portugal. You shouldn't have much trouble knowing both English and Spanish as Portugal borders Spain and many Europeans speak English. Portuguese is quite similar to Spanish and picking it up should be fairly easy.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.