promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

US Agriculture sector plowing crops back into ground as Food Service sector demand drys up. ?

A whole seasons crop is being plowed back into the ground as demand that cannot be picked up by supermarkets goes to waste.

The supply chain the for Food Service Industry has fully bullwhipped as demand from fast food, restaurants and cafes has dried up. 

The blow back is their primary suppliers, farmers have no market from their crops. 

So they have to plow it back into the soil and wear the loss. 

Downstream, food service warehouses are full of food, slowly going out of date, with no market and no capacity to take in more stock. 

So what happens when things get back to normal? 

What happens to the ten million or so thrown outa work in the front line of this disruption working in food service? 

No or limited supply means they stay unemployed. 

This is gonna be bad! 

I'd like to hear opinions back from the more intelligent YA! Politics users rather than the usual Trolls. 

And yes, when I say more intelligent users I do include you, Ed Winter. 

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

COVID has turned the food supply chain upside down. 

Prior to the virus, about 50% of food consumed in the US, was outside the home (restaurants, institutional, schools, etc). That market virtually evaporated overnight.

Farming is, in general, a low-margin business. You can't afford to produce something at a loss if you want to survive. 

Additionally, the products are perishable, and they are ready when they are ready - not necessarily when you want or need them. For example vegetables, need to be picked on their ready date. Delay that and they are worthless. 

Farmers aren't stupid. For products that there are markets for, they are still producing and selling them. And they're shifting as fast as they can to meet market demand. But for products where the market has evaporated? Yes, they're going to waste. Some is being donated, but that's not always possible. 

As far as what happens when things return to "normal"? Well, that will probably happen gradually, and the system will adjust. I wouldn't worry about food shortages. 

Our production systems have always been more likely to over-produce than under-produce. 

But sure, right now, some farmers are taking a beating. Dairy farmers in particular. 

• ...Show all comments
    • random_man
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I agree that agriculture is "behind the scenes" for most. Taken for granted until there's a problem! 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

That’s true. Germany had to fly in workers to make sure all the people have food to eat.

• ...Show all comments
    • random_man
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

The US does that as well - it's called the H-2A visa program and it's been in place a long time. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Democrats really hurt all Americans.

• random_man
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Now really - where does that come from? The question asks about disruption to agriculture because of the coronavirus. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.