promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 2 months ago

I've lost weight but look the same?

I have lost about 10 pounds so far with eating healthier ( been diagnosed as pre-diabetic recently!!) strength training and cycling. It's taken 3 months and I'm dissapointed with how long it's taken to be honest. When i did only Cardio and diet clubs I lost more weight on the scales i could lose 21 pounds in 3 months!

My clothes fit looser in some areas but when I'm naked I look exactly the same - huge things rubbing together and large pot belly there - why is there such a difference in the way I look clothed and naked???

I want to lose about 40 pounds in total so have 30 to go

3 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Don't give up!  

The hard reality is that if you are 40+ pound overweight, a 10 pound loss may not be clear or obvious just looking at your body.  Often it takes at least 20 for you to "see" a difference.

I would encourage you to look at your eating plan.  "Healthier" isn't always healthier and doesn't necessarily mean anything in terms of calories.  If you want to lose weight faster, then you need to decrease your consumption of caloiries and calories from carbs.  It doesn't mean you have to go keto, but low carb is very helpful for T2 and pre-diabetics. 

Here are some suggestions:

1.  Calculate the BMR for your GOAL weight.  That number is the maximum number of calories you should eat a day until you reach your goal.

2. Cut out or way, way back on bread, cereal, crackers, corn, pasta, rice, and potatoes.  If you do eat these, keep the serving size to 1/2 a cup.  That's it.

3.  Eat at least 6 cups of vegetables a day.  Eat salads with lots of different types of greens and other veggies thrown in.  Steam or roast broccoli, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, asparagus or zucchini. 

4. Drink lots of water.  Cut out fruit juice, milk, and soft drinks.  If you want something sweet, use stevia or monk fruit in some herbal tea. 

5.  Try intermittent fasting. You don't have to do it every day. You can start with just making sure you don't consume any calories between 7 PM and 7 AM. Then you can work to stretch this out to 14-16 hours a couple of times a week.

6. Get moving.  While weight loss and reverses insulin resistance are mostly about diet, you will burn more calories and start to improve your body composition by doing both cardio and bodyweight exercises (lunges, squats, ab exercise, etc.).  If you combine a sensible and effective eating plan with exercise you will not only increase your weight loss, but you'll see your body transform.  

YouTube is your friend.  Look up workouts to try and advice on weight loss, keto lifestyle, and how to use these to not only drop weight but more importantly reverse your pre-dabetes. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Take our body measurements. That's where you can tell more about how your body is changing, than just the number on the scale. You also say you are strength training, which means adding muscle. Muscle is a heavier tissue that fat, by volume (meaning 1 lb of muscle takes up less space than 1 lb of fat). If you are putting on muscle faster than you are losing fat, that's why you don't visually appear smaller. Hang in there.

I find this calculator a useful tool in helping determine what my calorie intake should be https://www.freedieting.com/calorie-calculator As your weight changes or your activity level changes, your calorie needs change also (one mistake many people make when working to lose weight is maintaining the same calorie intake over months, even though their weight and/or activity level changes). Also, mix up your workouts so your body is challenged. Doing the same workouts at the same intensity for weeks and weeks causes your body to adapt to those exercises (it gets better/more efficient) which means it's not having to work as hard, thus you don't get the results you did initially. You have to challenge your body to change it. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Your scale and clothes don't lie - you have lost the weight.  A pound of fat and a pound of butter are nearly the same size = so picture 10 pounds of butter . . . a large pile, but your loss is spread-out all over your body.  Your weight loss will be more noticeable as you lose more.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.