promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 2 months ago

Problem with grocery store budget?

Since the outbreak,my family of 5 eats at home and no longer do takeout or delivery.well this morning my parents was upset because I keep using his card to buy food.remind u it is 5 people who are eating and I have to cook everyday(which buying meat and other stuff to cook with,also other items)the complaint is that I am buying to much stuff which is not true because everyone is eating from home.i spend $300 a week on food)also I contribute as much as I can.I can’t buy my own groceries because I lost my job due to the outbreak and my brother is not working either so he can’t contribute that much either.If we have to I will just do takeout and everyone buy their own food.parents give me money but not enough in order to buy groceries for a week.remember it is expensive to feed a family of 5 everyday especially no one can go out.2 boys and a girl(all in 20s)if they want to they can buy the stuff and go groceries)we don’t want takeout because we don’t know if anyone inside has the virus(I also think restaurant shouldn’t be open anyway since they have direct contact with food)and touching

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would talk to your parents about it

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

If you added up all the take out and grocery bill between the five of you every week, and then calculated the cost of groceries alone for a week, the grocery bill would be a lot less. `

• 2 months ago

sounds like they never budgeted for meals...if they ever added up the cost every week they would have seen that eating out is way more costly

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Not sure what you're looking for here.  Under normal circumstances, there's no way it would cost $300 week to feed 5 people.  But  I don't know where you are or how empty the shelves are of basic cheap staples like pasta, rice, eggs, etc.

Also, I don't get why 3 adults in their 20's are all living at home, but maybe you need a family meeting and decide that everyone is responsible for their own food.  You say you and your bro aren't working, but there are tons of jobs right now at places like Walmart or Amazon.  Have each of you gotten your $1200 yet?  Every penny of this should be used for food unless someone has savings and can use that to feed themselves.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Buy certain foods in bulk such as dried beans and , large bags of rice. Beans can be soaked over night then parboiled for 40 minutes. The dried beans keep well for many months and the rice will also. If you guy cans or packages it is much more expensive. Buy meats and poultry when they are on special and freeze them where they will keep for months. Use discount grocery stores like Aldis or the equivalent in other parts of the country. Use small amounts of meat, poultry or fish which you stretch out by making them in dishes with rice, pasta or beans. Potatoes are very healthy and if stored in a cool dry place out of the light they will keep a long time. Plan your meals so you don't throw food and use everything. You can boil down bones of meat and poultry and fish to make stock for soup or for sauces. You cannot keep flour very long because it has weevils in it but making breads muffins and pizza dough from scratch also saves money and it tastes better than the packaged or frozen equivalents. Learn to make quick bread which is the basis for all muffin, biscuits, cakes and pancakes. They are all variations on the same recipe. Quickbreads are all based on baking soda or and soured milk or buttermilk rising the dough. other ingredients include a little salt and a little sugar for cakes more sugar and shortening oil or butter or margarine. People who are really into it do freeze drying .or vacuum sealing so frozen foods last longer or with vacuum sealing even refrigerated foods last longer. You can also do your own smoking out of doors or make jerky and other similar foods which is not that hard with the right equipment. of course to do some of this there is an initial investment but it will save lots of money in the long run. .

Stretch out meat and poultry by using small amounts with rice or noodles and vegetables with some good flavoring so have spices and herbs well stocked. If you do not know anything about flavoring buy the grinders that are labeled for poultry or chicken or beef and use them. Also you can add cream of mushroom soup as a sauce to either noodles or rice dishes for a tasty dish.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Tell me the one about Jack and the magic beans instead, this story is rubbish.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.