promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

is the chicken I bought out of date?

know im not sure if its ok to eat it says use by 10th aprill what does that mean should I cook it or throw it away does it mean I can use today than throw it away tommrow

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Use by the 10th or freeze by, usually. It will be slimy no matter so, but if it smells like bacon, then toss it.

Cook it NOW. I would suggest soaking it in a brine of salt and sugar, then bake it covered.

Are we talking Breasts?

10th is ok, but bake/cook it today.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

It should be fine. Most meat that has been refrigerator will be fine for at least a couple of days after the expiration date. The expiration date doesn't mean the meat automatically rots.  With any raw meat, look at it and smell it.  

• 2 months ago

it says "use by", not "expired by".

• 2 months ago

Don't throw it away. Today is the 10th. And that's probably the "sell by" date. Freeze it if you're not going to cook it today. It will be fine in the freezer for several months.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Its gonna be fine COOK IT but, never mess around with chicken. If you cook it, eat it within 2 days max even if its stored in the fridge. 

• Jerry
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Cooked chicken in a closed container in the fridge does NOT spoil in 3 days. The appearance my change as natural fats seep to the surface and congeal. That is NOT spoilage. It doesn't even affect taste. 

• IvaB
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

You asked the same question twice.Cook it today,no problem.

• 2 months ago

The information says Use by...it does not say toss out on April 10th. 

If your refrigerator is cold and if it has been stored properly your chicken is fine to use today, and I would even bet if you cooked it tomorrow there would be no problems. 

• 2 months ago

First smell it. If it smells bad, throw it away. If it smells OK, cook it. Keep what you can't eat today in the fridge and you can eat it tomorrow. If you heat it up tomorrow, make sure it's very hot all the way through.

• Jerry
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I agree with you, but there are people who suspect that ANY aroma indicates spoilage. Can this cook distinguish the normal bloody fatty scent of wholesome meat and the smell of putrification? 

• 2 months ago

If the chicken is turning pale and smells like ammonia, it's bad.

• Zirp
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you kept it refrigerated it will be fine if you cook it before easter

In case of doubt, use your sense of smell

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.