promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentLaw & Ethics · 2 months ago

How young do you have to be in order to get away with a mass shooting?

Let’s say I was 5 years old and I wanted to kill 4 of my classmates and I snuck my fathers glock 17 pistol in my backpack and started letting off. Would I face the same legal penalties as a 16 year old would if he commuted a mass shooting?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

What state are you talking about?  In my state, anyone over age ten who's charged with murder or attempted murder is automatically tried as an adult.

• Anna
      Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

There's something very wrong with your state. Anyone 13 or under should be tried as a juvenile, as they ARE children, no matter what they did.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

It varies by state, but generally speaking you would probably have to be no older than 10.  And even then the 10 year old would likely be kept in a psych ward completely dependent upon a psychiatrist to determine their sanity after their 18th birthday, which may never come to exist.

• 2 months ago

In many (not all) places, a child under 8 years old (or 6, or even 10, it varies) can not legally commit a crime. It's not they physically can't do the actions, it's that no matter what they do, it's not classified as a criminal act for the child. HOWEVER .. it is still a harmful thing, and the child can still be locked up a danger to other people. Same as if the child had a dangerous disease, they can be put in quarantine isolation.

Since committing a mass shooting is certainly a sign of a major mental disease, the child will be treated for that. This can include powerful drugs, restraints (straitjackets) and padded cells. Many mental patients say that they would rather be in prison.

Also, the parents would be charged with various crimes, such as failure to supervise, allowing access to the gun, and failure to get treatment for the child's mental disease.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.