promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 2 months ago

Was Charles First of England and Scotland really the Tyrant his accusers made him out to be?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

I don't think he was a tyrant (Cromwell showed himself to be a worse one).

But he was a poor statesman and, divine right notwithstanding, should have realised his position was only tenable provided enough people were content. In the transition from a (albeit limited) absolute monarchy to a constitutional one there was bound to be casualties, and he was the one. The only king to be canonized, which doesn't really suggest tyranny.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • blu
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

He responded to political opposition to his rule by dissolving Parliament on several occasions and in 1629 decided to rule entirely without Parliament. In 1642, the bitter struggle between king and Parliament for supremacy led to the outbreak of the first English civil war. He was tried, convicted of treason and beheaded. The punishment sounds reasonable enough to me considering the times. It's not my call what opinion you have.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

No but its the same as Brexit the magna carta its democracy and a power struggle between parliament and the crown , and the future , I am sure you know the details but it all revolved around the king and parliament , there had been some powers removed from the king and he needed parliament to sanction his new tax demands. The parliament were in fear of public outcry and refused the king dismissed parliament and sent them home and ruled on his own but the law of the land was parliament must rule on taxes he recalled them and they refused but explained they would agree if the king gave up some of his powers like dismissing parliament , he was livid raised an army and declared war on parliament it was civil war and the rest is history tyrant it's not exactly true but we owe our democratic rights to these times 

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

He believed he had been chosen by god to be king and would not compromise at all with any request that parliament had,but he should not have been beheaded for treason as a king by their very nature cannot commit treason, treason is against the king!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Why do you think there was a civil war the problem with Charles was he thought

he could do anything he liked.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.