promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Do the parents have the right to choose their child's marriage partner ?

In USA I always feel like parents want to arrange their child to marry the partner they want. You know if your daughter 28, they will pick a guy 28 or 30 who has a job and good education and good financial support. In India or other countries arrange marriages. If you come from a rich family they do same thing. In middle class families they would do the same thing. If your daughter 23 and dating a 40 year old man. It is forbidden by the parents. They would disown you if you do that. Your parents will chose your partner and he will be the right age to marry. They know you will live happily ever after. Even if you are closeted lesbian or gay, parents will disown you. So, they want you to be closeted and marry the person they want you to be.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Sky
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

No.  Nobody has the right to choose what person someone else is going to marry and spend the rest of their lives with, and such a right should never be granted by government or culture.  Only those who are going to enter into that marriage should choose who they marry.  If I was in that position, in love with someone who I felt ready to marry and who was similarly in love with me and wanted to marry me, and my family tried to pull the "we'll disown you" crap, I'd tell them to piss off and stay away from my wedding and stay out of my life until they learn to treat me and my spouse with respect, and to treat her with the same love and acceptance they would expect to receive.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • reme_1
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

American parents do not arrange marriages. Immigrants to America might still do that but people born here chose their own partners.

• 2 months ago

Parents everywhere usually have a type they want their child to marry, whether someone wealthy and successful or just someone who will love and care for their child and be a good parent to their children. In the USA, they may have a particular person they want their child to marry, but that usually only happens with the very rich, Appalachians, or immigrants from another culture.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Depends on the country you live in.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Everybody's parents want them to marry a good person, in many countries the parents arrange marriages, in many other countries the couples make the choice. In the U S the couples choose whom to marry.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

"Do the parents have the right to choose their child's marriage partner?"

Absolutely not.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

In the US they don't have the right as in they can't force you to marry.  That doesn't mean you can't face a lot of pressure.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.