promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
alan asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Can I still eat chicken that expires today?

I bought some organic boneless skinless chicken and had it for five days inside the fridge (not the freezer) until I finally cooked it just yesterday. It says use or freeze by 04/09. Will I still be able to eat it today? I’m so paranoid about getting sick or something 😅

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

An "expiration" date does NOT mean the food is unsafe after that date. It's a SELL BY date. The store and the manufacturer want you to eat it when it's at its BEST.  So they put those dates on food to keep people buying new food and not using them after the dates come up. 

You must differentiate between SPOILED food, which will make you sick, and EXPIRED food which will NOT always make you sick. If you can't tell when meat is bad, you need to learn. If that chicken has been refrigerated for five days and you already cooked it and ate it, then OBVIOUSLY you're not going to get sick!  Once you cook it, you could put it back into the freezer for about 6 months and it would still be safe. 

Food poisoning from spoiled food will take only a day or two to show up (or even sooner)--and you'll be so miserable you won't be able to move. Some spoiled food won't GIVE you food poisoning at all, but only a slight bellyache. Some will literally kill you--such as botulism toxins. But if you've safely handled the food you buy and it goes past your "expiration" date, stop worrying unless it smells bad, tastes bad or has visible mold growing on it. The dates printed on the packages are from manufacturers, not health experts. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

You keep asking this question over and over lol. duh

• 2 months ago

With it being cooked, and properly refrigerated, it will still be good today.

• 2 months ago

Particularly since you cooked it the chicken is fine. 

The dates are generally Use by dates or Freeze by sometimes Freshest by they are not Expiration dates. 

Properly stored most items will be fine for even a few days past the Sell by date. Just make sure you store them properly and if you do not use meat within a day or two of bying it put it in the freezer to use later. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Eating it on the best by date should be super safe.

• 2 months ago

You'll still be ok, might even be edible this weekend. Otherwise make sure to freeze it.

• 2 months ago

sure         .

• Murzy
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

It's fine to eat .

• Eva
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You cooked it yesterday. lt will be fine for a day or two. The use or freeze by date refers to it's raw state.

• 2 months ago

As long as it was cooked thoroughly, you should be fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.