promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesOther - Arts & Humanities · 2 months ago

Are liberals or conservatives in the USA more likely to accept / reject the concept of karma?

That nothing happens without a reason, that there is such a thing as natural law governing our lives, and that every action has inevitable consequences.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Sherry
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Conservatives are more likely to accept the general idea. Another way of putting it is that you reap what you sow. Liberals refer to it as some sort of 'ism' or phobia, lol. "I deserve only the best no matter what I do!"

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

Karma is a concept of Hinduism that means consequences of deeds in past lives. Your definition of it is wrong. Neither USA group you mention is very likely to accept true karma that involves reincarnation. Very few people in the USA are Hindus, after all. Most of them are Christians, not Hindus. 

• 2 months ago

The thing here is to remember when seeking an objective notion of a group of people and their beliefs, that you turn to statistical conclusions, brought on by statistical survey. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Since karma is an eastern philosophy associated with Hinduism, Buddhism and Taoism, and the USA is overwhelmingly Christian and Jewish, the answer is that neither is more likely than the other.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • If someone believes in Karma, then their "leaning" would depend on what they believe their past lives have been like with respect to balancing their Karma.  Those who think their past lives were conducted as too sheltered would be liberal.  Those who think their past lives were conducted with too much "exuberance" or disregard may choose to be conservative.  However, if you are referring to daily conduct, a person who believed in Karma would be neither, since Karma by definition is the practice of balance in all things.

• 2 months ago

Karma:  (in Hinduism and Buddhism) the sum of a person's actions in this and previous states of existence, viewed as deciding their fate in future existences (reincarnation)

I've never like the informal usage to simplify a complex belief cycle into another way to say "what goes around comes around".  So I imagine that they wouldn't be able to without knowing what it really means.

• 2 months ago

I doubt that falls on any kind of political lines...

I view karma as only "existing," so to speak, in hindsight. As an appropriate coincidence.

Otherwise is "exists" only in a similar sense of fortune cookie fortunes and horoscopes... More an imaginary thing people like to vaguely subscribe to for no real reason.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

I am fiscally conservative and certainly accept that karma does indeed occur. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.