promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Kyle asked in Science & MathematicsMedicine · 2 months ago

Should I go to the doctors?

I got sent home from work after they took my temperature when I was coming in and it was 101.5, but when I took it at home it was 96.9. At work they ended up using a forehead thermometer, but at home I used the thermometer that you put in your mouth. Which one is more accurate? Also should I contact my doctor?

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Lauren
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

Forehead thermometers are not terribly accurate. The oral one is more accurate.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Not necessarily unless you have symptoms that need immediate attention--a fever not being one at 101. Take tylenol. You go to the docs if they can do something for you you cant do at home or need the ER/hospital.  There are also phone advice lines

• 2 months ago

time of day is important, your temp tends to be low in the morning and increase thru the day by a degree or two. 

What kind of oral thermometer? I always had trouble with the old glass types, you have to hold it under your tongue for quite a few minutes. I finally bought a digital one that takes a reading quickly and beeps to let you know you can take it out.

PS: I did find that if I drank something cold, the oral readings would be lower for a bit.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.