promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Should I cancel our international honeymoon?

Obviously I don't need to tell anyone that Covid19 is ravaging the world. My husband and I have our honeymoon planned for Australia coming up May 15th. I didn't cancel it because the airlines haven't cancelled my flight, and no one knows when everything will be better. I have until near the end of the month to decide. My husband and our family have stayed home, aside from groceries and the doctor, to do our part with distancing. But my husband is a severe asthmatic, and it could be truly dangerous should he get sick. I haven't cancelled yet because this is his dream trip, so I was hoping things would get better. But we can get our money back and go again another time if need be. So what do you think? Should I start cancelling everything? 

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

    Hi, I live Down Under...

    At present, ALL passengers on ALL flights into Australia are subject to an automatic, no questioned asked or accepted, INVOLUNTARY lockdown for 14 days in a 3, 4 or even 5 star hotel, paid for buy the government in the location/city where you have dismbarked your plane. You will be fed and have a bed etc, but you will be QUARANTEENED and NOT able to even leave your room for the whole 14 days.

    This will be the case even if you are a resident of Australia, or have an Australian passport etc and are just returning home to Oz! True story!

    Even when you get here, most of the state borders are in lockdown and are closed to all traffic and travellers, except for ESSENTIAL travel or for compassionate or medical reasons etc. And essential traffic such as trucks transporting goods and food etc are allowed through. So you would not be able to go/travel anywhere when you get here anyway. :p

    If you are not a local (with the required permit attached to your windscreen, as well as EVERYONE in the car/bus/train you are travelling in having a permit also!) you will NOT be allowed into that particular state or region. 

    There are police, and even the army, manning roadblocks at all borders. If you argue the point with the police and don't turn around and/or drive back to where you came from, you will receive a huge on the spot fine. (for thousands of $$ and/or even jail time!) 

    So no, I would not go ahead with your plans until you hear otherwise, unfortunately. Or some miracle happens in the next few months where they relax the current lockdown rules..! They are saying that that may not happen for possibly up to 6 months or more??

    I was planning a big interstate roadtrip myself, in about May also. But that has now been canned until MUCH later in the year, IF I get to hit the road this year AT ALL?! 

    So it looks like you will need to change your honeymoon plans and we won't see you Down Under until a much later date, I'm afraid. :(

    I am sorry to be the bearer of such bad and disappointing news... but I am just the messenger. :/

    Stay safe and healthy everyone..Cheers

    • queenie83932 months agoReport

      Don't be sorry at all! It's great to hear from someone that is actually there and that makes a lot of sense. I just want to be sure we get our money back. It's my husband's dream and we don't have a lot of money. He's so disappointed, but I want him safe and to do his dream trip right.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    My sister had booked a flight from New England to Florida. She received an email stating she could cancel her flight up until 10 minutes of her flight time. That goes to show you that the airlines want to keep the money they received, in hopes there would be business as usual. So, do not base how safe you are to travel based upon airlines not grounding their fleet of planes. Please.

    I realize you may have had wedding vows that stated "till death do us part", but this trip could make that sentence a premature reality. 

    Dream vacations can be rescheduled but your husband''s life, I would think, is a priority. Right?

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Airlines are not in the Flight "Canceling" business & typically charge passengers fees for canceling flights, witch explains why your Airline will probably wait as long as possible to bother canceling Yours. 

    Realistically, even considering the way things are changing week to week it's difficult to determine whether or not international flights will be able to resume even by the middle of May, so it appears that you're caught in a waiting game with your Airline to see who's gonna blink & cancel first witch would mean the difference between a full or partial refund.

    And technically they could even wait till the supposed departure time to either delay or cancel the flight.

    Up to you, but my best guess would be that things probably won't start to get back to what passes for Normal till at least the end of the summer...

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Raja
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Follow the advice given by Yahoo members and cancel the trip.Communicate with the Air line about the refund.Refer to the WHO advice as well.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    thats up to you but noone can travel now anyways so they'll let you know if you cant go

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Allow me to be blunt. Do you want to be a wife or a widow?

    Yes, cancel everything. A husband who is protected as much as possible from infection will live to take that dream trip at a future time. He is in a high risk group and should specifically not be traveling.

  • 2 months ago

    Yes, cancel, your husband husband is a severe asthmatic, no brainer.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Since no one knows where a new hot spot of infections could happen, I would cancel it for now. He can still have his dream of a lifetime vacation on your first anniversary. Why take a chance with his asthma?

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Most of the projections are estimating life as we knew it to return at the end of June, not by mid May. I suggest you don't cancel it, but merely postpone it.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    I would look to see if you will lose money if YOU cancel before doing anything.

    I certainly wouldnt be travelling, especially to Aus as they have lifted lockdown and following Sweden. 

    That's fine, but they shouldnt allow anyone in or out either, keep their infected IN their own country

    If your travel company cancel, they will need to reimburse you completely, you may lose out if you do it, so do check before doing anything

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.