promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsEngineering · 2 months ago

circuit boards?

Hey guys, I'm trying to learn how to make my own circuit board, any recommendations on where to start? Aside from actually taking college courses don't have the money for that. Also, I took apart one of the toys I have and I was wondering if you could tell me some of the components of this circuit board(I uploaded the image), just thought it'd be interesting to understand what's going on in the background. 

Attachment image

7 Answers

Relevance
  • A.J.
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

That's a very low tech one. Find a mainboard of a dead laptop.

There is special software for auto-routing of circuit boards, unless buying a breadboard of plated holes and Pin-in-hole parts and hand wiring.

I'm a former procurement engineer and component engineer of IBM + Lenovo.

You can't tell much from part packaging without a part list and board markings.

You have two integrated circuits I circled in yellow.

The blue circle may be antenna indicating the big yellow would be a receiver/transmitter IC. You have a 16 Mhz crystal or oscillator with the purple circle.

The green circled are multilayer ceramic capacitors in various sizes. The brown circle 3 leg parts are discrete semiconductor as transistors or diodes typically. Some of the tiny parts are resistors, and can't say without a microscope. The light blue circled looks too short to be a polymer capacitor but top view photos can fool you.

Under a microscope, some of the little rectangular parts could be molded, making them diodes or transistors. You won't learn much this way. There are electronics parts kits for beginners at various part sets and prices

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/13973

https://www.ebay.com/p/18027565573?iid=15387672621...

Attachment image
    • ...Show all comments
    • memo2 months agoReport

Gotcha. I just want to say again, great explanation! When I posted this question, that is exactly how I wanted for people to explain it to me: By taking my image and creating a visual aid from it. You were the only one that hit the nail on the head! Kudos to you!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Serial numbers of the active components if they haven't been obscured either by varnish or heatsinks.

• Robert2 months agoReport

Looks to be some kind of crawler bug from the shape of the pcb.

• 2 months ago

Far easier to use strip board (Veroboard) for home projects. No etching required. Just cut tracks and add wire links as required.

• Steven
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Your toy is based in the SOC Transceiver PAN163CX

http://bbs.panchip.com/forum.php?mod=attachment&ai...

Making a PCB is like printing a book. Do you just want to do the printing, or do you want to write a book? Even a simple toy like this requires the knowledge of a engineer and years of design experience. Given your question, my guess is that you are 10 years of study and hard work away from designing electronic products.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Vaman
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You can try simple circuits. You get copper coated plates with the non conductor base. Then buy sulphuric acid. 50cc. Now draw a circuit on a plane paper the way you want to connect. Once you are satified, redraw with a sketch pen on the copper side. After that cover the line with a thin wax. Once it hardens, then dip it in diluted sulphuric acid in a tray. Wait for some time. All copper which is exposed will get dissolved. Take it out and dry it. After that warm it with a hair dryer and remove the wax coating. Your PCB is ready. In industries, they use computer to

trace the circuit. This is cut on a wax paper and pasted on the copper plate similar to one you have used. The same method is adopted. You try simple circuit of a bridge rectifier. You need to drill holes to connect diode, capacitor and a transformer. You try it.

If you try the bridge rectifier, then you draw 1inch line a gap 1inch line and another parallel line of 5 inch. You need to drill hole for a diode and a hole on the line before diode and the bottom line. top and bottom holes at the beginning and at the end.

• memo2 months agoReport

Thanks for the tip on DIY circuit board. Will definitely try that out!

• 2 months ago

It is a complex circuit, built with flat mount technology, was done with machine, human could not solder those parts with hand.

It contains 2 complex IC  ( many pins ), one bridge rectifier ( 4 pins) ; 6 transistors ( 3 pins ); many flat shape capacitors and many flat shape resistors.

• memo2 months agoReport

Thanks for listing as many parts as you could. Definitely helps in understand the whole process after investigating what each part contributes

• 2 months ago

The two large square items with lots of pins are ICs of some sort.

the rectangular items with 3 leads, dunno, could be transistors, or diode pairs. 

I can make out a few resistors (cylindrical with 2 leads) but the rest is a bit blurry.

You can't tell much by looking at a PCB, you need schematics, layout drawings, and parts specifications. None of which are available. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.