promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

My brakes are squeaking but not worn?

Okay so I got my brakes checked a few weeks ago because of this squeaking noise and the mechanic showed me the brakes and they are not worn out at all. They still have lots of life to them. However he did tell me that the hardware that the brakes are sitting on is very rusty and old and that can be causing the squeaky noise. I’m 20 this is my first car so I honestly don’t know if what he is saying is true or not but I did not get them replaced since he told me it wasn’t needed. The squeaking noise is becoming more noticeable now and I’m thinking I should just go ahead and replace the brakes and the hardware underneath just to ultimate this annoying sound. Any suggestions on what it could be? Has anyone had this problem with a car? The car I have is a 2009 Ford Focus SE

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Anonymous below covered it. You went to see a cowboy and not a mechanic. Ask around your family and mates for someone who they recommend and take it there. Finding a reliable mechanic, who is trustworthy and won't rip you off is like looking for a unicorn!

When you find one, KEEP THEM!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yeah. That mechanic you saw was a cheap bass turd. He knew it right.  Some anti squeak compound is put on those metal parts (which are called Anti squeal pads) which is essentially a flat piece of thin steel that rusts and the noise goes away. He could have done it but he didn't.  So don't recommend him to all your friends.  He does not need the business. He does not deserve it.

There is no danger from them as they do nothing other than stop the squealing(however they are the reason it is squealing so go figure with the name?)

There is nothing to fear. It will not cause the brakes to bind or anything bad.(some of the respondents are not mechanics and just FEAR MONGERS BECAUSE WE CAN)

No, the pads are not in need of replacing because the next guy will replace the pads and not put on the anti-squeak compound on the points where it actually makes the noise. Some mechanics do a good job "as a habit". They don't do "half a job."

Had it on my Honda. The mechanic put on a dab of high temperature grease (about the amount you would pull from your nose and put on a dab before slapping the discs together. So not much.  The squeak is because of the rust which is NORMAL. 

It also goes away on rainy days. It is a minor irritant. You know for certain you got lots of pad left so you are good for a few YEARS.

• 2 months ago

Yes, rusty hardware can cause the pads to stick or not sit well on the rotors leading to squeaking or squealing. If the parts are rusted badly, the best fix would be to replace them, yes. Otherwise they can be removed, cleaned and as required greased and be reinstalled. The mechanic should advise if possible or not to do that based on the condition.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

..replace other things, such as hoses, cylinders or calipers, since sometimes those become damaged even when removed/ refitted carefully & correctly; they shouldNot squak much, if any, that means metal on metal contact, which is poor; maybe try get by & then replace pads, hardware rotors all at once

• 2 months ago

If the brake pads were replaced already you likely got cheap hard after market brake pads.

Try doing a few fast stops from 55 mph to try and burn some of the glazing off of the brake pads. Brake noise can start if you always brake slowly.

If you want to replace the brake pads and hardware buy Advance Auto Platinum brake pads AND rotors. I only use the Platinum pads and rotors from Advance Auto and have done a good hundred brake jobs the last two years and have never had brake dust on the wheels or brake noise.The Platinum brake pads come with the metal hardware.If you do the job yourself make sure to use a wire brush and file to remove the rust build up on the caliper brackets under the old metal hardware. The new brake pads should move in the bracket when pushed by hand without forcing them.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
    • Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

excellent answer & advice; also, be careful, do each one at a time firmly on a heavy jackstand, have all tools necessary handy for the repair, including a torque wrench & specifications, & antisqueak grease for brakes, and be careful of eyes & hands,First,make notes of Exactly how R,&L,went together

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Need to buy some stop squeak stuff at your local auto parts shop (I get the stuff that comes out like toothpaste) and apply it to the back of the brake pads. Doubt the noise will go away on its own so get 'er done now. Yes, the pads have to be removed and put back in place to do this.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Pads could be glazed.  Replace the pads and then do serious hard braking for the next 10 miles.

• 2 months ago

The brake pads need to have anti-squeal compound applied to their back sides. I've even used high-temp wheel bearing grease on the back sides of brake pads to silence squeaking, but use the product intended for that.Simply replacing the brakes will be a waste of time and money because you still will have the squeaking.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

If the mechanic was going to rip you off they would have said you needed new brakes.  'could be the cause' means they could do the work and you still have squealing.  If the pads aren't worn then you won't damage anything by continuing to drive with them.  I had a set of really squeally pads that drove me crazy so I know what it can be like.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technolo...

Try the anti seize compound or the 'disc brake quiet'.  That's relatively cheap.

• arther
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

Italian tune up use them hard a few times then see if they do it.

• Jahal
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

I had squeaking brakes before, the mechanic said l needed new brake pads. Brake pads are much cheaper than replacing brakes. He said if  you don't fix it soon, it's going to wear down your brakes and the repair will be much more expensive.

Get a second opinion, or take a friend or relative with you who knows cars, (or even who can pretend to) they're less likely to try scamming you. 

Hopefully it's not too late to just get new pads. The main thing is get it fixed before it gets worse

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.