promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
M asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Fridge is not cooling?

I have a side-by-side fridge and freezer that is roughly 8 years old and it stopped cooling about 3 weeks ago.  We searched online and thought that the coils might've been frozen over, and low and behold they were so we melted it and it started to work again.  2 weeks after we fixed it, the fridge is not cooling again and I don't know what could possibly be the reason why it is not cooling again.  We checked underneath to see if the coils there were dusty and it's fine, also the thermostat is set to the max cold levels but it's not helping.  The freezer works fine to freeze meat, but we noticed that the ice cream is barely getting frozen and the texture is similar to that of whipped cream.  Please help!

8 Answers

Relevance
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

It sounds to me like your evaporator fan is failing or failed, or else a control element that controls the fan.

The evaporator coil is the cold coil, and it's in the freezer compartment.  The fan blows air around inside the fridge/freezer, and what it's doing is pushing heat (from inside the fridge) onto the coils.  The coils pick up that heat and move it outside, where another fan blows the heat off the condenser coils into the kitchen air.

Don't worry about using the word "heat."  I'm talking about heat on an absolute scale, not the scale of human comfort.  

So.  When that inside fan quits, the coils are trying to extract heat from the space.  They pick up the heat of the air that's on them, but no new air gets blown onto the coils, so they just get a little colder, a little colder, some frost develops, a little colder, etc.  Once the coils are completely covered with frost, that's it.

Whatever's fairly close to the coils is going to stay pretty cold, but that's all.  As you've already seen, the rest of the unit just isn't going to get chilled properly.

So what's needed: you need to check the function of your defrost system, the interior fan, and also to ensure that there's nothing blocking the vents at the back of the fridge.  Airflow is everything in this.  It sounds like the fan is the problem but it could be a related issue.

Defrost timers are fairly cheap, but if yours is a completely electronically controlled fridge it may be something a bit more expensive.  Never mind the cost, I guarantee it's cheaper than a new fridge.

Inside fans are pretty cheap too.  I've never seen one cost more than about $80, usually a lot less.

I check back on my answers fairly often in case someone has follow up questions.  Add your manufacturer and model number and I'll help further if I can.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • drip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

We had a fridge repair guy come in.  They defrosted the fridge and used heaters. They got a more ice and water out than I did. They removed back panels and got deeper into the fridge.  For us the fridge part didn’t work but the freezer part did

• harry2 months agoReport

it is normal defrosting

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

The first time the coils were all frozen up, so I'll go with the defrost timer or circuit needs to be looked at. Which is not at all uncommon. If you have a single evaporator system, there will also be a damper door between fridge and freezer compartments. There will be a fan(evaporator fan) that blows air through that damper. If either the fan or the damper has failed, then that can also lead to the frozen coils which can prevent it from cooling properly.  All that being said, a compressor running under those conditions for too long will start to slug, to flood which will kill it.

• 2 months ago

particles in the system: make sure the fridge is complete defrosted

turn the fr. upside down for one day, turn back to normal: start up

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Edwena
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Check to see if the coil has frozen over again, One time we had a fridge with a similar problem and read that there was a problem with the design (Samsung) and it could not be fixed. So my husband studied the freeze-thaw pattern of the ice on the coil and decided that if he blocked some air flow to the iciest spot, that would redistribute the air across the coil and ice may not form. So he put a piece of duct tape over the air inlet hole nearest the spot that had the most ice. We never had the problem again, but do not know if that was the fix.

• 2 months ago

The defrost timer is stuck you can usually take the defrost timer which is most of the time at the base of the refrigerator you might have to look up online where your defrost timer is for your particular model most of the time a shot of WD-40 in the hole and twisting it with a wooden dowel will get it running again but sometimes you have to replace it find out where it's located turn off the power and replace it what you need to verify is if the cold coils are getting cold and the compressor is cycling off and on if the compressor is cycling off and on and the coil outside is hot and the inside is not cold what happened is the defrost coil is stuck wide open and it's producing heat to defrost the coils which will prevent it from cooling defrost timer manually verify that it's the defrost timer put a dowel into the plastic hole and turn it until you hear the compressor come on in that position it should start to blow cold air in about 10 minutes.

• 2 months ago

the coils inside the freezer side? Icing over indicates that the automatic defrost cycle is not working. Frequently, this is caused by failure of the defrost tube [which is likely inside the back panel], or the thermostat, or the timer, or the relay that the thermostat activates.

With your brand and model number, search for "repair" and check for conditions such as you describe. look at the youtube videos showing how to test the components I describe and repair or replace them. [your model may not have all of these as separate parts.]

My Amana had this problem and I turned out to be a dead defrost tube. Ordered a new one online for about $80 [the cost of the repairman to just show up in my community] and installed it myself. So far, it's been a year and it works perfectly again.

Source(s): grampa
  • 2 months ago

FREON LEAK.........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.