promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Son wants to stay with his father who has COVID-19?

My son and his father have COVID-19.  They caught it while it was the father's time with our son.  My son says he has a mild case...no worse then a minor flu.  His father has it worse...not quite "go to a hospital" bad, but "can't really cook or get down the stairs to pick up the mail" bad.  I wanted to go pick my son up but my son says he doesn't want to infect me and wants to take care of his father.  

My son is 12 and in generally good health before this.  Should I let him stay with his sick father?

Update:

The son has no health problems and is fairly typical maturity for a 12 year old.  The father is 49 with moderate asthma.  I'm 40 and healthy.  No one else lives with me.  

8 Answers

Relevance
  • Tj
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

let him stay where he is, but keep checking on him a few times a day. You can make food and leave it at the door for your son.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

It is best for them to stay isolated until they've both recovered, if they are able to manage without interventions right now I'd let your son stay.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i wouldnt let him stay with his sick father

• 2 months ago

Yes, of course you would, otherwise you get infected too.

He’s 12 and not a baby anymore

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

He's right; he can and probably will infect you. Then there will be three of you infected instead of two. And who are you living with? That person, if anyone, will also be at risk.

But it's your call. Is that 12 yo actually capable of looking after his dad? Would he know enough to call 911 if that becomes necessary? Can he do sheets and make the bed? What if dad can't make it to the bathroom? Can he cook to be able to feed the both of them?

Probably not is my guess. But here's the flip-side of the coin:

Who will look after dad if he's truly incapacitated, which from your description he is?

I'm sorry, but I think the real solution here is for dad to go to hospital asap. At least there someone can take care of him. And you'll have to take the risk of being infected yourself by looking after your son. Keep your social distance, wash your hands, and disinfect your cabinets, dishes, etc. frequently. Maybe you won't be infected.

• The son can make sheets and do the bed.  Not sure about cooking.  

The Dad insists he doesn't need the hospital, and he's probably right.  When I said he can't make it down the stairs, that's partly 'cause he lives in a third floor condo.  The hospitals are crammed full here.

• abdul
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You probably should. Just monitor them both, because you may have to intervene.

• martin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Let him stay. He, with advice from the father, will be making a joint decision between the two of them that it's ok for the son to stay. If you interfere and something goes wrong, you would regret it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes.  Your son is facing virtually zero risk at his age from COVID-19.  His father on the other hand depending on his age and health is much higher risk.

• The father is 49 with moderate asthma.  I'm more worried about my son having a scary experience and living on Mac& Cheese for a couple weeks.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.