promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
kruppe asked in HealthDental · 2 months ago

Is brushing your teeth really necessary?

Hi there people!

I realize this question might seem shocking and unconventional, and it probably is. But let me explain:

I am a 24 year old male from the Netherlands. At the beginning stages of my life, i have brushed my teeth twice a day, because my parents wanted me to. In that period i've gotten cavities maybe once or twice, but for the rest i had no problems out of the ordinary.

When i reached around the age of 8 or 9 however, i started to become a bit rebelious, and i just didnt bother to brush my teeth. Ever since, i have never really picked it up. This might seem shocking, but i just never have had any issues. I go to a good dentist twice a year, and he always compliments me on the health of my teeth and gums, saying how he thinks that i must take good care of them (i have never told him i dont brush my teeth, since i don't look forward to the confrontation, somehow i feel like it might offend him).

Ever since i stopped brushing my teeth, I have never have had a single issue of oral or dental health. Nor have i had a friend or girlfriend complain about my breath or colour of my teeth (i am a layed back guy, and i have good friends and have had good relationships, so i'm sure they would have told me if something is wrong!).

so maybe i'm just a lucky guy with "good dental genetics", or maybe we can predict that my teeth fall apart all of the sudden in like 10 years. Or is brushing your teeth not necessary?

What do you think?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Statistically speaking, brushing your teeth has proven to be the most helpful thing to mantain your dental health.

Your personal experience is purely anecdotical. It's like if you told me "I've never been hungry in my life so hunger doesn't exist".

About your particular case I can think of a few situations that could explain it, for example:

You rarely drink acidic beverages such as sodas, (this weakens your enamel overtime)

You aren't a smoker or rarely smoke (smoking causes damage in all the oral cavity)

You chew chewing gum (in some studies chewing gum has proven to be effective to prevent cavities in abscense of normal dental hygiene such as brushing)

You drink water after your meal (this might rinse your teeth and somewhat protect you from the bacteria in the mouth)

You eat a healthy diet (people who eat junk food tend to have poorer dental health, even despite a good dental hygiene)

You have really really REALLY good dental genetics. No. You hit the lottery jackpot of dental genetics.

You have been just lucky so far because you are young. And this is the main thing here. You are 24, most people with serious dental issues are over their 30's or even 40's, it takes time for your enamel to show the real damages, after all enamel is one of the strongest substances in the human body.

A combination of all the factors above mentioned.

I don't think it's surprising that so far you haven't had any issues w your teeth, but I can assure you, that won't last forever. I can bet my damn license on it.

I strongly recommend you to stop this nonsense and brush your teeth and floss at least once a day.

Also, the f*ck w the educational system in the Netherlands? All this is common knowledge... Anyways.

Source(s): I'm a RD
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

I honest-to-God think you're full of crap. 

• kruppe2 months agoReport

I genuinely am not, i don't have a way to prove it though so i understand you might be disinclined to believe me.

• 2 months ago

Brushing your teeth is necessary

Could you explain why, while considering the contents of my post?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Doctors recommend brushing your teeth at least twice a day.

Personally, I follow the advice of doctors because they're freaking doctors.

• ...Show all comments

The study of medicine develops all the time, and doctors have recommended different things throughout the ages. I am wondering if the tradition of brushing your teeth isn't a cultural phenomenon instead of sound medicine. Therefore i'm lookign for a more elaborate answer.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.