promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 2 months ago

Will liberals think they're morally justified if they start a decade long Great Depression over a virus that's killed 1/4 as much as the flu?

What's sad is that I honestly think they will.

They'll seriously believe that 2.2 million people would have died without the 2020 coronavirus shutdowns, and think that's a price worth paying for the economy being a wreck for 10 years.

Update:

@Anonymous Putin only wore a mask and gloves when he visited coronavirus patients. He doesn't wear a mask and gloves during his everyday life.

Anyway, I'd be thrilled if liberals would be willing to open up the economy as long as people wore masks.

Update 2:

@ElwoodBlues H1N1 killed 175,000-575,000 worldwide. Unfortunately, I can't find any figures on how many it's killed in the US.

Even the low end is more than twice as many as the coronavirus deaths worldwide.

Update 3:

@Ndmagicman The corona death rate is at most 1% if you include undiagnosed cases.

And you judge an illness by its deaths, not its mortality rate. 

Update 4:

@Chris I hate to tell you, but an economy can't magically spring back from 6 months of inactivity.

Unfortunately, liberals don't seem to realize that.

Update 5:

@Humpty The 1918 epidemic didn’t take 3-4 months to slowly trudge up to seventy something thousand deaths worldwide. 

20 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Hey, it may end up killing almost as many people as the flu. Surely that justifies spending trillions more than we do on the flu and closing everything down as we would with the flu.  

A life lost to the corona virus is of course much worse than a life lost to the flu, heart attack, stroke, and other threats that kill far more people.   Therefore it’s justified tank or economy over the Coronavirus.  

Source(s): Liberal logic.
    • Elwood Blues
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

There's a party that campaigns by urging us to "choose life."  However, when choosing life gets expensive; they seem to be switching to "choose the stock market!"

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • humpty
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You are fooled by the right wing trolls who use false stats, comparing our surrent Anerican infection/death toll based on incomplete reporting to the worldwide statistics following a complete study. This epidemic is something we have not seen since the 1919 influenza. Scoff at your peril.

• Luke2 months agoReport

Liberalism was created by the Jews in order to western civilization.

• 2 months ago

Yes we seriously do think that. But what's sad is that people like you, who have no clue about how viruses spread, don't believe that saving lives at the cost of making profits is worth it.

What's also sad is that people like you have no clue how capitalism and the economy works. There's no way this will result in a 10 year depression. In fact the pent up demand for goods and services that could not be acquired during the sheltering will kick start the economy once the threat of the virus is over. BTW the stock market is already beginning to reflect that.

• 2 months ago

Are you saying Trump is too weak to stand up to liberals? My guess is you only give the Liberals the blame, but not the credit if the economy recovers, so your question isn't smart.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jim2
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

ROFLMAO. Do you not understand coronavirus is twice as contagious and ten times deadlier than flu, and is spreading like wildfire??  Do you not understand it's going to kill way more than flu if we let it? Do you use the brain God gave you??  Like I'm going to listen to you and not ENTIRE countries that are shutting down, liberal or not!! Go to Italy and spout this foolish stupid ridiculous lie. They'll kill you! And I would be about ready to cheer them on, because we MUST TAKE THIS SERIOUSLY. WE MUST STAY HOME. 

• 2 months ago

This has nothing to do with liberals or conservatives, of either party.

You have to sa e lives and preserve the economy. But saving lives is MORE important!  This will be a balance. But I agree the world can't shut down for too long.

What I say in brief: this is beyond politics.

• Elwood Blues
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

I mostly agree; viruses don't have any politics.  I'd just like to point out that one party campaigns by urging us to "choose life."  However, when choosing life gets expensive; they seem to be switching to "choose the stock market!"

• yodi
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

the psychiatrist will see you @ 2

• 2 months ago

So why did Trump not respond immediately to the possible spread of the virus?

The US knew in late December it was spreading. Trump was warned and yet he did nothing to prepare the US.

The comparison to the common flu is asinine.

Mortality rate on the common flu is 0.1% and we have vaccines and treatments in place.

Mortality rate in the US for corona is 2.9% and we have no vaccine and are only beginning to get treatment protocols in place.

• Chris
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

I do not think the liberals can keep the Trump economy down. It is going to spring back. Too bad, so sad.

• Elwood Blues
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

So you persist in the illogic that ways if economic activity drops it's always the liberals' fault, but whenever it rises, it's always Trump's doing.  Just curious - are there also flying unicorns in your fairyland?

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Would you take it seriously if trump started wearing a mask, face shield and gloves like Putin does?

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.