promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 2 months ago

How can I get mildew out of a foam cushion?

I just got a brand new truck. The kids instantly spilled pop in the back seat. I vacuumed it out with a wetvac. That evening, they spilled water. Vacuumed it. One had an "accident" the next day... Vacuumed it. After that it poured rain for about a week and I wasn't able to keep the windows down to let it air out. Long story short this seat smells awful, I've pulled it and stripped the fabric off which I'm washing in the machine. I'm left with this soggy foam thing and don't really know how to remove the smell of mildew. Advice?

Update:

The washing machine killed the smell in the fabric. I washed the foam with a power-washer and regular car soap, then let it air dry for several days. Once it was fully dry I rubbed baking soda in to it, let it sit for 24 hrs, vacuumed it out and reassembled. It smells great now, and I've installed a protective plastic cover to keep it safe, as well as gave the kids a stern talking to.

2 Answers

Relevance
  • audrey
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

You need to teach your kids respect for your things. Don't let them have drinks in there again. As far as drying it. Leave it in the sun. But you'll never get rid of the smell. If that is a brand new truck, I'd bite the bullet and buy a whole new seat.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

The mold needs to die and then you might have luck with an ozone treatment to remove the odors.    Consult a reputable car detailing place.  They have the equipment to handle this.

Consider requiring the kids to try to pee before getting in the car and having a no food/drink in the car rule. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.