promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Can you really just cut off the bad parts of food and eat around it if its moldy? or should you throw it out and waste it?

is it worth or not worth to try to save it?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • kswck2
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    On Some cheeses, mold is good. On most other products, throw out.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Depends on what it is. There have been times I've brought home pizza that otherwise 

    would've been thrown out (we often prepared too much at work) & not had time to eat 

    it all before mold develops. Better just throw it away. FYI if you're spending your money

    be responsible, only buy what you can expect to consume before getting to that point.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    You can cut the mold off cheese and still eat it--with the exception of processed cheese food like Velveeta or Cheez Wiz. If that molds, it's no longer good to eat. Only natural cheese can be eaten if it's moldy--and then it has to be a very SMALL amount or you'll risk ingesting spores from it anyway. 

    Any other kinds of mold are not good to eat, because they signify that the food has changed enough to grow mold or that it has not been kept properly--which will make it dangerous to eat. 

    Sorry you feel like it's wasting--but it's not. It's protection, not waste. 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Ramiro
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    Some mold is actually good for you like in cheese. It increases the flavor. As a matter of fact they sell moldy cheese at some 'specialty stores'. Other types of.mold can be bad. Like the ones around rotten apples or any fruit and vegetable that has been on the dirt ground for a while. Usually it comes in contaact with other things like fungus or ecoli

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    throw it out .

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    It greatly depends on the food. 

    Hard cheese, cut off the moldy areas and the cheese is fine.  Soft cheese better to toss it. 

    Bread, if it is 1 slice that has a bit of mold on it, toss that one the rest should be fine but check first. 

    Meat, toss it

    Milk, yogurt, toss it

    any condiment that has been sitting in the cabinet or refrigerator since the Reagan Administration..toss

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Burgoo
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

    depends a little for me on what it is. bread, ill eat the clean slices and throw the moldy ones out. Cheese, Ill cut the bad part off and eat the rest. fruit, veg and meat, ill throw it all out.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Bee V3
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

    I think it depends on the food. For example, if it was a piece of meat, id just throw the whole thing away. but if it was something like bread, I would eat around it. eating a small amount of mold wont kill you.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Depends on what the food is.

    I'd never cut off the bad part of a piece of chicken, but cutting off the bad part of a banana or potato or cheese is no problem. 

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Depends on the food. I generally try to save as much as I can, either for me or my chickens. We're all healthy - - so far.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.