promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is it mean to throw my brother out?

My brother sold his home. He’s moving into an apartment but they changed the move in date to April 22. So he’s staying in my one bedroom apartment on the couch. He hogs the tv Netflix and amazon prime. He stinks up the bathroom. My job is having me work from home. He has enough money for a hotel. I need my space back. He’s working from my table that I need for my job. He told me I should work from my bed. I’m on camera an I don’t want my coworkers seeing my bedroom. He doesn’t want to stay with my dad in a house because they get into fights.

25 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Instead of complaining here, you need to talk to your brother. Set up some household rules. If he doesn't like them he can move out. No one can take advantage of you unless you allow them to do so.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

take charge, get your spaces back, force him to be more respectful of your space, and if he can't handle that, then yeah throw him out. He'll probably get the coronavirus though, so keep that in mind.

• 2 months ago

Kick his smelly, selfish, tv hogging @ss out. No it's not mean he's mean he's taken over your house.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Tell him nicely he should stay elsewhere.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Jane
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You have just over 2 weeks before he can move to his apartment, tbh it's not a great idea for him to move out before then, and it's impossible for him to go out everyday for any length of time due to Covid19 risks.But- he must respect your space, and you are letting him bully you.Perhaps this is good practice for you in developing skills in negotiation, assertiveness and problem-solving.Work out when you need to be on camera and book that time at your work table.Of course this means he will have to be elsewhere in your apartment, so you will have to put up with him being perhaps in your bedroom,/bathroom/kitchen  during that time lol, or being quiet and out of shot, or go out for an hour of exercise. These are personal spaces of yours so you'll have to think of a way to feel less invaded- eg. if he is in your bedroom, hide all personal items, drape a cover over your bed. You must be able to maintain your job, and it sounds like so must he, so you both have to compromise. Soon this will end!!! 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i dont think so but i would give him time to move out

• 2 months ago

If it was my brother, knowing he was about to come into a windfall (from the sale of his house) I would be milking the fact that I have had to sacrifice so much for him to encourage a big payback from him. Not banish him serving to create animosity and alienation. Quid pro quot bro ...

• Teal
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Write down a list of house rules and tell him exactly what needs to change if he plans to stay with you. This is not a negotiation. You are doing him a favor, he doesn't get to make demands. Either he accepts your terms or he leaves. He has other options and you have zero incentive to tolerate disrespect from him.

• 2 months ago

Did you invite him to live there until April 22? If so, i guess it was an agreement you made. I don't see why you can't watch what you want on your own TV. It is YOUR place... so change the channel! And open the bathroom window, i guess?

• 2 months ago

he is a pain but bear with him

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.