promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How effective is plan B? ?

I have been on oral contraceptive for 3 years now and take my pill everyday, and recently had a contraception failure. The condom broke and we did not realize until after ejaculation. I took Plan B 8 hours later but I am wondering what my chances of pregnancy could be? This happened around 2 days before my period was due.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Your contraceptive pills are more effective than Plan B.

    Say the pill is 99% effective so the chance of failure is 1%.  Plan B is about 95% effective if taken within 24 hours so 5% failure.

     

    Chances of getting pregnant with these numbers = 0.01 * 0.05 = 0.005 or 0.5%.  Plan B only slightly reduces your chance over the pill alone.  Condoms in actual use are about 80% effective.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • PAMELA
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    If you are taking birth control then it is very unlikely that you would get pregnant. You are not pregnant and did not need to take plan B, that will disrupt your cycle for months.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Edna
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Your chance of pregnancy is zero. But it's not because you took Plan B - it's because you're taking birth control pills.

     

    How many times does it have to be said?  When a woman is taking birth control pills, she is NEVER supposed to take Plan B. (1) She doesn't need it - she's on the pill. (2) Birth control pills contain hormones; so does Plan B. If she takes Plan B on top of birth control pills, she's just dumping excessive amounts of hormones into her body, and that can mess her up big time. She might not have a period this month, and she might not have one next month either. That's a side effect of Plan B.

    You're taking oral contraceptives (birth control pills). You did NOT have a "contraception failure". The pill (by itself) is your contraceptive, and it's all you need to use. As a matter of fact, you don't need to use a condom; not in order to prevent pregnancy. When you take one pill ever day, it prevents ovulation from ever happening. Therefore, it's impossible for you to get pregnant. 

    If you don't know how birth control pills work and if you don't trust them to do what they're supposed to do, why are you taking them?

    • ...Show all comments
    • Edna
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

      Alan P:  I used the pill as my only contraception method for over 25 years. In all that time, I never got pregnant & I never had reason to even suspect that I might be pregnant.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • alan P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    If you are taking the normal combined pill carefully every day then you have a less than 1% chance per year of getting pregnant without pulling out or other protection.  If you want to be extra safe then using a condom at the same time isn't a bad idea but if the condom occasionally fails the chance of the pill failing at the same time is very low.  The daily pill is already protecting you to a better level than Plan B can provide.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

    You have been taking the pill for 3 years and take it every day which means you wont ovulate or have a period but will have a bleed each month so why use condoms and then you took plan b, why? You have now messed up everything and will have to wait for a month or so and then start taking your oral contraceptive from the beginning like you did when you first started taking it 3 years ago but meantime you are not pregnant.

    Source(s): Mum & Grandma
    • alan P
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

      It was not necessary to take Plan B  but normally you can continue taking the daily pill as normal. Levonelle mentioned in the link is a UK brand of emergency contraception like Plan B. https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/contraception/emergency-contraception/

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    Why are you taking oral contraceptives if you don't trust them to work

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Jill
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

    Plan B is about 95% effective when taken within 24 hours but you didn't need to take it at all. When you are on the pill you don't ovulate so you can't get pregnant. 

    The extra big dose of hormones you took will have side effects so look into what those are so you don't confuse them for pregnancy symptoms. You're not pregnant.  

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

    There was no reason to take Plan B if you're on an oral contraceptive. Plan B is an oral contraceptive, it's just a higher dose. As long as you take your pills every day at roughly the same time, you're completely protected. Zero chance of pregnancy.

    Really, talk to your doctor. You need to learn more about how this works.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

    Pretty much zero IF you are regular.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.