what do you think could be a cause for mass shootings and what are some things that could help prevent this from continuing?
- Anonymous2 months ago
The longer we are in lockdown,the more likely the slaughter will continue
- 2 months ago
There are those who see this strictly as a political issue as in, limiting gun access. While it is true that there are war-like guns (e.g. AR-15) that should be removed from public access, overall, this really isn't and shouldn't be a political issue. There are generally four areas that can cause mass shootings:
1. Mental illness - This is of course one of the more obvious areas, but it tends to be a culprit that cannot be ignored. There are those who have committed mass shootings that had a history of mental illness, and because they were able to access firearms undetected or unchallenged, it led to an opportunity that turned out to be tragic. Individuals in this state usually act based on chemical imbalances, psychological triggers, and or previous trauma.
2. Video games - It has been a heated debated over time and some have debunked this one as a myth, but studies have linked gun violence to the effects of video games upon the mind. In fact, in previous shootings such as the one that took place at Columbine High school it was found that the shooters played violent video games.
3. Gun laws - In some parts of the U.S. there are some states that have more liberal gun laws which means more access. If there are individuals who want to do harm have more access, then it sets a dangerous precedent. There are studies that show that states with liberal gun laws tend to have a higher incident rate than states that do not.
4. The Media - When mass shootings occur, there tends to be a sensationalizing of the persons involved and the coverage becomes excessive. When media coverage is obsessed with an event, it creates psychological anxiety and or it can create an affinity by those who are open to doing harm. There are even those who attempt to copy others who commit crimes as a way to achieve fame.
The overall way to prevent it isn't necessarily through legislation or political interference. While gun laws can help, it won't stop a person from pulling a trigger. The issue lies within the person's heart and the mind. If a person doesn't value life, or if they are burdened by mental anxiety, then the chances are greater. It has to be dealt with through intervention and positive dialogue.
- ErikLv 72 months ago
When someone does this, it is considered an anomaly. That is a situation that does not fit into normal patterns. Whatever the cause is, you have thousands, if not millions, of individuals going through the exact same thing. And they're not shooting a bunch of people, it's just one guy here and there. So sadly, I don't think there is a solution. Just be glad it's so rare.
- StephenWeinsteinLv 72 months ago
The cause is humans who have guns that can fire repeatedly and want to kill a mass of other humans, and masses of other humans. There are three things that could prevent this:
1. Don't have any humans that want to kill. This probably isn't possible.
2. What prevented mass shootings for most of history: Having either no guns or only guns that have to be reloaded slowly after each bullet is fired.
3. What is preventing them now: No mass gatherings of humans, except in places with very tight security to keep out guns, such as prisons, jails, and apparently the White House.
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- artherLv 52 months ago
Lets talk about Sandy Hook I think that one was fake the first fake mass shooting was in Port Arthur Tasmania . The Video I saw of the kiwi mosque shooting the one that was banned gun shells were disappearing before they hit the floor. Too many dud politicians in this world lets disarm the people so they can sell the country to a ****.
- 2 months ago
Mental health issues coupled to easy access to firearms.
Reducing access to firearms would help (or banning altogether), were your police able to remove the great mass of weapons that criminals seem to have.