promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Are teachers "essential workers"?

My cousin posted a meme thanking essential workers, and on the meme were images of

police, fire fighters, retail workers, mail carriers, cleaners, delivery drivers, and teachers. I questioned why teachers would be on the meme because they they're at home. My cousin, who posted the meme, said, yeah they're at home, but they have to teach online. So I said, yes, but aren't "essential workers" the people who have to remain on the job despite the risks? And her reply was, yes, but they have to ignore their family while they're teaching online. Ok... so...I didn't want to get into a fight with my cousin on FB. She's on a school board, and all that so I just let it go. But am I wrong in questioning her assertion that teachers are essential workers? They're at home. So how can they be classified as "essential workers". Your thoughts, please.

Update:

ps... I don't think my cousin is too bright. But why embarrass her in front of her school board friends.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 weeks ago

Don't you have something better to do?

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Nicey8
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

They are frontline workers in the education sector. They are in the grey area of what is termed as essential workers. It depends on which country you are from.

So none of you are wrong. Just respect your relatives. You may need them when you are old.

• 2 months ago

You are free to classify teacher however you want. However in my state (CA) schools are classified as essential and therefore teachers and all other employees are considered essential workers. So even though the students and teachers are home, teachers are still required to prepare lessons and provide educational opportunities to the students.

• 2 months ago

theyre still essential workers even if theyre at home

• catmich992 months agoReport

Mam, you don't know what you're talking about. You must be following me because you answer every question I post, and almost every time you prove yourself to be ignorant. You just say stuff without any foundation of knowledge. Stop. Unfollow me, please.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Teachers have been asked to very quickly come up with a way to help students keep up their education despite not being in classes. I'm on some discussion boards with them, and you shouldn't play down the stress this involves. Many are learning new technologies, like Zoom, while coping with their own children, who are home from school. Now- they are not risking their lives, like health care workers and police officers are, so you have a point. BUT they are putting in many hours of extra work, and trying to maintain a connection with their students that they care about a lot. So don't put down your cousin. This was a generous gesture. 

• catmich992 months agoReport

they aren't essential workers.

• Stoo
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Many people trying to homeschool their kids right now are pretty appreciative of what teachers do.

But even "essential" workers have to be balanced against disease propagation. Kids in particular are hard to control on basic safety and prevention. No teacher will stop them from getting and spreading a virus - they will be fine most likely, but many teachers and parents and grandparents won't be. So in-person teaching is offline for a while.

• ?
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

In time of desperation, no. We are capable of picking up a book ourselves, immediate family can teach kids basic skills when not busy working. 

They are essential workers for civil society. We aren't a civilization currently. We are shut down playing for immediate survival. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.