promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
San
Lv 4
San asked in Food & DrinkCooking & Recipes · 2 months ago

Dent in a can?

I found a can of chicken stew forgotten in the pantry. It hasn't expired yet, but the can has a large dent on the side. I'm not sure if the seam is damaged. Would you eat the content if it smells normal?

Thanks!

12 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

A dent on the side usually means the food inside is okay--but if the can shows signs of corrosion around the end seals, you have to toss it. When you open the can, if there is no foamy discharge, or bad smell, or if the can doesn't almost explode, you can safely consume the contents. But before you do, check the inside of the can--is there rust? Corrosion? Bad colorings?  Then don't eat it. 

• San
      Lv 4
      2 months agoReport

Thanks!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • IvaB
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

There are too many other things to be concerned about than to worry about a dented can.Exposure to air would spoil the contents.Does the can have any holes in it ? If it does you will know when you open it.If not,I would consider it safe.

• 2 months ago

Look at the ends of the can. If they bend slightly in it should be OK. If it bulges a bit outward, throw it away. When bacteria invade food they produce gasses that defeat the vacuum from the canning process.

• 2 months ago

Contents are fine if there is no bulging or raised looking places on the can.And its not leaking.Never eat anything that leaks.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Tulip
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No it could have tiny holes that have let bacteria in. I never use dented cans

• 2 months ago

Nope. Never eat anything from a dented can. There can be microscopic breaks in the metal that can let the food spoil. Throw it, even if it smells good.

• 2 months ago

Weigh the cost of buying a new can of stew versus a trip to the doctor, or the ER, for food poisoning.  Is it really worth the risk?  You aren't starving and have no other food in the house, or the ability to buy it, are you?

• 2 months ago

Yes, I would. If the product was going bad, it would probably be bulging.

• CB
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

yes and the date is  not and expiration it is a best-by date - meaning the quality if deteriorated after that date is not the problem of the manufacturer.....but very likely it would take years after that date to degrade the quality - not dangerous. 

• 2 months ago

As long as the can isn't bulging or leaking, the contents are fine.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.