promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is Orville 'up there' with Star Trek (and Red Dwarf)?

Update:

Seth Macfarlane's The Orville.

I get why some people wouldn't like it, and as a fan I admit some episodes aren't amazing, I still think for a 'drama-comedy' it beats the crap out of STD and is as good as Star Trek on a good day. The comedy hit-and-miss (which is what I think of most of Seth Macfaralen's comedy).

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

I am a Trekkie and I have watched all the episodes in season one and two of The Orville. It is a good show with some funny scenes but I have yet to compare it with Star Trek TNG.  The series is more of a parody of science fiction series from the past. However, there have been some good solid dramas in a few episodes. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

It surpasses new Star Trek (excluding Picard, which I have yet to watch). He did very well.

• Snid
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Not even close.  The Orville is more of a comedy.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Honestly, no.  It's just not very good.  Not very funny, not very dramatic, not very entertaining.  The concept was great - sort of like a TV version of Galaxy Quest.  But the execution has been abysmal.  I'd put it above something like Homeboys in Outer Space, but far below any of the Star Treks, BSG, Babylon 5, The Expanse, Farscape, Red Dwarf, or any other shows I can think of off the top of my head.  It's on par with some of the more forgettable offerings by the Syfy Channel.  

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

I would not put it on par with TOS or TNG.  DS9 is debatable.  But I would put it above the other Treks.

I personally never had that high an opinion of Red Dwarf.  It's one of those shows I think sci fi people have turned into a virtue-signal.  "You're not a REAL sci fi nerd unless you love Red Dwarf.  Pinky-extended."  That sort of thing.  

I think Orville is 'okay', but I think it's missing a lot of it's potential.  I think about half the characters are uninteresting garbage...and unfortunately it's mostly the alien characters that are bad.  The ones who SHOULD be the most interesting because they allow the most imagination.  

I also think that the show's plots never really hit the potential of the ideas that inspire them.  They all feel half-done.  And the social issues being tackled often feel clumsily handled, while other feel small or dated.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

It's basically just a spoof of Star Trek created by the Family Guy dude.  I've never had an interest in watching it but I don't see how it could be as good or better than Star Trek.

• ...Show all comments
    • Lv 5
      2 months agoReport

Star Trek advocating for progressive ideas (or being ultra-PC as you put it) is one of its best qualities.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

it's above star trek and slightly below red dwarf.

i can't wait for the new red dwarf next week.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.