promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Can you lock a window from the outside?

I am genuinely asking, please no judgement... my sibling is currently going through a psychotic episode, dealing with some significant paranoia and hallucinations, and they have also been suicidal in the recent past. We are concerned that they might try to go out onto the roof from their window or jump out and want to prevent that if possible, but I don't know how we could. 

And yes, they have been brought to a hospital. Due to COVID-19 the hospital wants to limit the amount of people staying in the building, and they were discharged. We have a plan in place to get them somewhere safe, but this is a concern in the meantime as we can't have eyes on them at all times.

TIA.

17 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago

Someone who would be of the mindset to escape via a window to the roof will not allow a locked window to stop them when the window pane can be easily broken to access the roof. 

Go buy a length of a "no dig" fence, as it is the perfect size to screw to the outside of the window as a window guard. Howsoever blocking the egress from a bedroom window may be against local building codes. Blocking an emergency escape can be life threatening in the event of a fire and such energencies.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Fit another window lock. If you have sash windows it is also possible to fit a restrictor that will allow it open a bit but not enough to climb through. I've fitted hundreds of those.

Failing all other methods you can get decorative grilles to fit inside or outside, which are effectively bars, but look more ornate.

You can also fit secondary glazing to the window which is another pane of glass on the inside usually inside it's own frame, and they can be restricted in the opening too.

Whatever you do fit please have an adequate fire plan as windows onto a roof is an effective escape route in case of fire. If you use a lock keep the keys in a break glass key box for emergency use only. And if you go for a window grille use a type that can be removed quickly that locks into place but needs a key to open.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

"Escape to a roof" is not an "effective escape route"
      but might be a poor third choice in a pinch, depending upon how high the roof is and if there is any way to get down from there safely (stairs, ladder, adjacent windows, etc).

• L
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

NO.  Windows only lock from the inside.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

With a little imagination, windows can also lock from the outside, meaning they cannot be opened without tools.

• 2 months ago

I think so no, I haven't paid attention to this topic. Today only i try

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

That depends on the type of window and if you modified it. MOST windows are not constructed with locks that can be locked from outside.

If the goal is to keep someone from getting out, an actual lock is the LEAST effective solution. Bars would be more effective.

• ron h
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Do you not know if have a brother or a sister?  You keep saying "they" which makes me doubt your story.

• Droopy
    Lv 5
    2 months ago

It illegal to do that because of fire 

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Not always.  All habitable areas must usually have "two means of egress", but not necessarily by way of any windows!  Some fire codes may require a "rescue window" for an approved "sleeping area", accessible from the outside, but that's different.

• 2 months ago

various physical methods present themselves and all depend on the window and building construction ... of which you're told us nothing

• A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Window egress is mandatory for fire and safety, it could be illegal to lock from the outside.  If this person is that desperate, you should call 911 and have them admittied to mental health facility for their own protection.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Millions of apartment buildings have windows that cannot possibly be opened (without an axe), let alone used for fire exits. Thus, clearly "window egress" is not always "mandatory".

• 2 months ago

As there are many different types of locks on windows, it is possible that there is a lock that would allow you to lock the window from the outside. But that would not make much sense. If you can unlock/lock the window from the outside it would not be very secure. Anyone could walk up to the window, unlock it and enter your house. So 99% of windows can not be locked/unlocked from the outside.

If you are concern, go outside and look at the lock and see if you can lock it from the outside. Usually it is on the inside of the window and you can not reach it from the outside.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Locking from the outside might supplement the existing locking from the inside. Nothing says you cannot have both.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.