promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
San
Lv 4
San asked in Home & GardenMaintenance & Repairs · 2 months ago

Three-way light switch?

Is it technically possible to equip a room with a lamp that can be turned on/off by three or more switches?

Thanks!

16 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, that is called 4way lighting or Intermediate switch. Very easy to do if you know how and have the correct wiring. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=622NaX7VYqo

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=youtu.be

• ...Show all comments
    • Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Yes, 3-way refers to control by two switches: both off, both on, or just one of them on, a total of "three ways".

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Yes, it's pretty straightforward. Whether it's a receptacle for the lamp or a built-in lighting outlet, you can wire three or more switches. Two of them are 3-way type and the third (or others, beyond that) are 4-way switches, which are wired " between" the two 3-ways.  The detailed wiring depends upon which way the power comes in from the panel and where the one or more lights are located with respect to the switches,

This has been the way it's done for 50 years or more.  With the advent of "home automation" in the 1970s, however, some people have chosen to use "remote control" devices for such things, whether wired or connected by radio frequency signals, or various other combinations.

One of my own houses has a long hallway with a series of lights down the center, all controlled simultaneously by any one of six different hard-wired light switches.  It initially had only a 3-way at each end, but I bought the 4-ways at the local hardware store and installed them myself (no license or inspection needed here, your local rules may be different).

There are books and online publications about "basic home wiring" that illustrate how to do things like this.

Be safe and good luck.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes and you need a certified electrician to do it.  It is tricky.

• 2 months ago

It is not only possible, but fairly easy. The only part that MAY be difficult is running the wiring between the switches.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Yes of course many switches can work. But you may have a wad of wiring to do it.

• 2 months ago

Have them in my house. Look up 4 way switch

• 2 months ago

yes. In fact, there is no limit to the number of switches. The problem is that added wiring has to be run from all the existing switches to the light, as well as the new switch. then, the existing switches have to be replaced with dpdt switches instead of dpst switches. [exception -- if there are already three or more switches controlling the same light, then only the two switches on the 'ends' have to be replaced and new wiring run from them to the light.]

Source(s): grampa -- search internet for wiring diagram if still interested
  • elhigh
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Yes, but what you are looking for, in the case of a three-switch installation, is called a four-way switch. You probably won't find that at Home Depot though you may be able to order one through Home Depot.

More switches than that is a very rare installation indeed but it can be done. For four switches controlling one circuit, you need two three-way switches and two four-way, though I have never done it myself and will be completely unable to describe how to wire it up.

• ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

yeah, HD or Lowes WILL have those.  Smaller local HW stores MIGHT not, Wally's MIGHT not.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Yes but it has to be wired prior to drywall going up.

I have a garage light that works on 3 switches .

I have never seen a electrical outlet wired and control by one switch. It’s possible just not needed . 

In today’s world you can control lamps by remote control, devices . U can have google home or Alexa control your lamp with voice commands.

• ...Show all comments
    • ron h
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Switched outlets are REALLY common,  I don't recall seeing a multi-switch outlet, though.  I dunno why that wouldn't work, though.

• 2 months ago

Yes it is possible and explained in the NEC

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

Nothing of the sort is "explained" in the NEC.

• Rick B
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Just get a smart bulb or a smart plug and control it with Alexa.

But yes, a plug can be hooked up to a three-way switch.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.