promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Family & RelationshipsFamily · 1 month ago

How do I RESPECTFULLY stand up to my parents when I am doing something they insist I not do (I am aged 38 so an adult out on my own)?

They often talk as though I am still 14 years old and living at home. I am an adult.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

Unfortunately, you do not give me an example of what they say to you or how they treat you.

You need to learn healthy assertiveness habits and you can go online to find sites that teach these skills.  Or you can go to your local library and take out books on Assertiveness Skills.

3 things to remember:

Remain cool when they become disrespectful.

Remain calm and do not shout, act out, raise your voice or become sullen. 

REMAIN IN CONTROL of the situation.  Remember that your parents have no control over you and you are not a door mat.  Simply hold your hand up in a "stop" signal and tell them that you will consider what they say but your mind is made up.

Walk away or hang up the phone.  Stop the conversation after you assert yourself.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Candy
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

Tell them not to talk to you as if your a child .I know they same problem .Its like when they get older they can be like this because their memory starts playing on them and they can think they are back in tiime

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

I remind my Mom of her favorite saying when i was living at home "you can do what you when you are out on your own".

• I live on my own, have since aged 22. Since aged 19 if you count living with my elderly grandmother. Last was with Mom and Dad at age 19. Yet, they still do this. They mean well and love me, yet I have to respectfully speak up. My Dad is worse about it then my Mom. Used to be the opposite. 

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

just dont tell them what youre doing

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.