promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

How would people deal with heat while sleeping during the summer before the invention of electric fan?

12 Answers

Relevance
  • Speed
    Lv 7
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The same way they do now.

Some families have sleeping porches, screened on three sides and taking advantage of any breezes. These are common in warm climates, especially older homes.

I grew up in the Sonoran Desert and I did not have air conditioning or a fan in the bedroom I shared with siblings. Or a sleeping porch. We'd take a cool bath or shower shortly before bed and deliberately not do a very thorough job drying off. Cotton pajamas with as much arm and leg showing as they could. The room air, though warm, caused evaporation on the warm damp skin and it was enough cooler to let you fall asleep.

Later in the night, sometimes you'd even grab for a sheet to cover up with.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

We all left windows open.

• Huh?
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Not that well, for the most part.  They didn't have much choice in the matter.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Royalty/rich people used slaves to manually operate a fan.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Marli
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Sleeping outside: balconies, porches, tents or ... Just outside.

Inside: windows open; minimal bedclothes and no blankets.

• John
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They're called mosquito netting but they keep all kinds of bugs out. Also. I was in a place once where it was either no air or mosquitoes.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

You'd try to use passive cooling as much as possible.  Keep windows open, make sure there's a good breeze, keep the room shaded during the day to minimize heat gain, etc.  But on days when it was real hot and muggy and there wasn't breeze, you'd just have to suffer. This is one of the factors the limited settlement.  Florida, for example, was largely a backwater until the development of air conditioning.  WIthout some mechanical means to cool the air it was just too hot for many people to want to live down there.  Air conditioning made the economy of many  areas like the American South and Southwest. 

• PAMELA
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

They would open some windows!

• 1 month ago

They slept on "sleeping perches". These were raised wooden platforms of, at least, a height of 500 meters or so which could reach the cooler areas of the atmosphere. In hotter countries these could go up to 10 kilometers in height. Naturally, oxygen tanks had to be used due to there being little oxygen at those heights, but no-one cared as at least they got a good night's sleep.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

My grandparents had a sleeping porch on their house.  It was a screened-in porch where they slept on the hottest nights.  

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.