promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
mrh-slos asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 1 month ago

After German reunification, how long did it take to reconnect the Metro - underground railway - networks in the 2 parts of Berlin?

If most of the networks were pre WW2 it should not have taken long to unblock old tunnels between the 2 and bring them back into use, but if they were built post war it would have taken much longer to extend tunnels and link up the routes.

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago
    Favorite Answer

The U-Bahn was constructed long before the war and for the most part remained intact during the occupation. It  suffered damage during the war, but that was largely repaired by the time Berlin was partitioned. Some of the stations were closed where a couple of the lines crossed the border and then back again so that it became effectively two independent networks. It was soon reconnected after the Wall came down, a matter of weeks rather than years to reopen the closed stations and remove the border controls at Freidrichstrasse. There wasn't much money to do anything more ambitious.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

I don't think it took too long.  The subway predated the division of the city.  The West German subway actually continued to travel under the Berlin Wall and into East Berlin for the entire life of the wall.  The East German authorities just closed off access to those stations where it would have stopped on the eastern side.  So after reunification they presumably just had to open up some tunnels.

• 1 month ago

I'd like to know the answer to this, myself.

I hadn't thought about it in decades. I used to ride the U-Bahn (1973/74) just to go and see the stations that were closed. The trains weren't allowed to stop and there were armed guards stationed at each one.

Once the Wall was opened up, the U-Bahn should have opened shortly thereafter.

• 1 month ago

After all travel restrictions were lifted at the end of 1989, the Metro was fully reconnected after about three months.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.