promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Will roofs last 30 years?

I brought a guy out for an estimate to get a roof from Erie metal roofing. His cost for the roof is $17,000 and two other places were around $7,000. This guy will say there are cheaper roofs but his is the best. He told me most roofs will not last 30 years and they will give you excuses to void your warranty. Isn't there a good chance these cheaper roofs will still last with little problems for 30 years?

18 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Some roofs can last 30 years.

If anyone is telling you anyone else will make up excuses to void the warranty, HE has already made up 30 excuses.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Mr. P
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

Ask for offcut samples. Then you can compare materials. 

Then make sure they use what they quoted on.

• 1 month ago

get 3 guys to submit written bids for the job,,get references,, costs therein ALL costs, materials supplied at cost,, not marked up,separate quote for labor,time from start to completion, number of workers on site,insurance carried and the bond carrier workmans comp, work permits from local govt, and costs,length of warrantee terms material debris clean up provided for,I E,the guy pays his own dumpster bill,debris disposed of properly acdng to local and OSHA rules it any,

how much $ down to start

another  source inclined to be helpful are local experienced realtors,, be casual about your reasons for the visit,state after getting the poop from her,a bane or 2, we may be selling in a couple years,,get her to chat, 2/3s of their time is just making local contacts,,one out of 15 talks and coffee with a neighbor yields a listing agreement, you might be the one who would like to sell.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Warranties on asphalt shingles are mainly an advertising gimmick:  30 years shingles are better than 10 years, but as a rule-of-thumb you should count on a useful life of about half of the "guaranteed" life  (and those guarantees don't cover labor and material costs are prorated, so if you collect anything at year 20 on a 30 year shingle, it will be pennies on the dollar of the cost of a new roof then).

On a metal roof:  in my area, roofers state an anticipated life of 50 years . . . . much depends on pitch and quality of installation, as much as weather and damage.  I know of homes & buildings with 75 year old metal roofs that have escaped hail & tornado damage.  

I guess you need to get directly comparable estimates:  exact specs on materials & installation.  You probably won't be worrying about it in 30 years, but want it nailed-down with quality fasteners and seams properly crimped & sealed.  Unless it's a very small structure, even asphalt shingle roof here would be more than $7000 - I would be suspicious that they will find additional costs during installation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

Are they musical roofs

• 2 months ago

There's a small chance an asphalt-shingled roof will last 30 years--but that's not a BIG chance. That estimate for a metal roof is not bad. I'd go with it. And get your warranty IN WRITING. Most asphalt shingled roofs will easily last 10 years--or even 20. 30 is stretching it. 

• 2 months ago

The two most common asphalt shingles are the 25 year and 30 year grades. The warranty is typically prorated so you would not get a free roof after 20 years if it failed.

My roof is a 30 year asphalt roof and it would have lasted at least 30 years if there hadn't been a hail storm that beat it up. 

• DEBS
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

What type of material are the 'cheaper' roofs?  Here's an article about expected life by different types. 

https://www.thespruce.com/best-roofing-materials-f... the end, if the 'cheaper' roof has a lifespan of only 15 years (which is very low for most 'cheaper' roofs), then you're looking at $14k for 30 years compared to the $17k this metal roof would cost you.  

Metal is actually supposed to last 30-50 years.  Composite asphalt shingles are supposed to last 15-30 years.  100-year cost of metal is about $44k compared to $33-44k for asphalt shingles.

You may also consider that a metal roof can help with your cooling bills as they reflect more heat.  Other roof absorb heat and make your house much hotter in the summer.

• A
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Investigate all of the companies that you got quotes from, check their reviews, BBB ratings etc, I got 2 quotes for a standing seam roof 5 years ago, they ranged from 12K-25K, I had the lower bid guy come to my house and explain how he could do it for half the price. he has low overhead, family business while the higher priced, has a lot of employee benefits including 401K, education reimbursement, etc, I went with the lower price and got a lifetime guarantee

• 2 months ago

please read reviews on these other specific brands from actual owners. look for people whose roof sprang a leak after ten to 15 years.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.