promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Doesn’t homophobic mean fearing gays, not hating them?

24 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

No. For example, a hydrophobic molecule is a molecule that avoids having contact with water; it doesn't fear the water.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 month ago

It's an empowerment/propaganda term developed in the late 70s or early 80s.  It's purpose is to imply that people with an anti-gay outlook are afraid they are gay themselves or hiding their gayness under a mask of hostility.

This empowers gays by giving them the notion that they are feared.  It also attempts to silence opposition because people will think you are closeted and compensating  if you speak against gays.

It's a kind of ridiculous term.  I myself prefer the term 'homorisible' because I don't hate OR fear gays, I just find them funny.

• Anonymous
    1 month ago

Well the name suggests that it’s for fear but this word specifically means hating them instead. Don’t know why

• 1 month ago

Fear and loathing like Elisabeth

• ...Show all comments
    • display name
      Lv 4
      1 month agoReport

Peter, Elisabeth is in "breach" of the rules of humanity.  I've just quoted words that she uses to describe gay people.  She is the bully.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

In the botanical sense, it means avoidance or aversion.

• ...Show all comments
    • Alexander
      Lv 7
      1 month agoReport

Plants don't "love" or "hate." They're attracted to sunlight or harmed by it, for instance, heliotropic or heliophobic.

• 1 month ago

Fear is the underlying cause of their hate.

• 1 month ago

homophobic

/ˌhɒməˈfəʊbɪk,ˌhəʊməˈfəʊbɪk/

adjective

adjective: homophobic

having or showing a dislike of or prejudice against homosexual people.

do i really need to have this copied to my clipboard every time? etymology is not omnipotent. sometimes you have to go to the dictionary and look at the word, in the dictionary, in order to find out what the word means. I can't believe I have to explain this.

• 1 month ago

Yes, most homos don't understand this.

• ...Show all comments
    • Elisabeth
      Lv 5
      1 month agoReport

The Bad: You are just too dumb to understand the simple concept of boobs, so you don't know what normal means. Peter: Yeah, he have very little to offer :-)

• 1 month ago

Technically the word does mean fear of same (homo- same, phobia- fear), but due to people being the stupid shts they are, it is now synonymous with hatred, as stupid people most generally hate what they fear due to ignorance.

• 1 month agoReport

So you're saying that the ignorant people who were stupid as hell to coin homophobia instead of homosexualphobia hate what they fear? 

• 1 month ago

Yes, but people often hate what they fear (and vice versa).

• MyaJay1 month agoReport

That's now how it works. I hate onions but I do not fear them. 

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.